Sign in to follow this  

Inexpensive Minis Trailer Build

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the inexpensive trailer I built to haul my Grandson's minis around on.  I figure my 2-Grandsons will be on 85s (2-stroke) or smaller bikes for the next 5-years (+ or -) so I built this simple trailer to handle 2 & 4-stroke bikes from 50cc to 85cc size bikes.

The trailer frame is a Harbor Freight 40"X48" with 12"-wheels.  The deck is 3/4"X4'X6' Birch plywood. The deck is finished with Flood CWF-UV stain. I added 1/4"X2"x2" steel angle to the front of the frame for the outside tie-down anchor points.  I added 1/4"X2" steel flat to the rear of the frame to accommodate a wider tail-light mounting.  I moved one of the frame's cross braces forward 10" to allow for a longer tongue for the trailer.  I added another piece of 1/4"X2" steel flat as an additional cross brace on the frame since I moved the original cross brace forward. I added a 3/4" aluminum channel to the rear of the deck to help protect the deck from splintering while loading & unloading bikes. I added a tongue-skid to the tongue to keep the hitch off the ground and for ease of lifting the tongue. I also wired each tail-light with it's own ground-wire so we won't have any light issues that often occur when grounding the trailer though the frame only.

I made the components on the trailer deck very adjustable by drilling various mounting holes in the deck.  The wheel chocks, and D-Ring tie-offs for the rear wheel can be easily moved to several location points on the deck to accommodate different wheel-base length bikes.

I also cleaned all factory grease out of both bearings in each hub and repacked the bearings with good quality high temp, bearing grease.  This is always recommended with any HF trailer kit.

Lastly, I added a spare tire mounted under the trailer at the front of the deck.

I've hauled this bike trailer all over Oregon the last couple months with one or two bikes on it and it is very stable through the curves crossing back and forth over our mountain passes.

If you are in need of an inexpensive, small, light, and easy to store trailer something like this might work for you.

Randy

Buy the trailer kit on sale, or during the once a year 25% off sale and this trailer can be built "dirt cheap"!
minitrailer1.jpg

minitrailer2.jpg

minitrailer3.jpg

minitrailer4.jpg

Appreciate the post and pics. I have to haul my '97 CR125 behind my car, don't have another vehicle I can use, so I thought I'd buy one of these Harbor Freight trailer kits because of their light weight. I was considering the 8" wheel model, rather than the heavier 12" wheel model. The 8" wheels scare me a bit, wondering what kinds of problems I might encounter with the smaller wheels. Not really worried about bearing heat, as you have to repack those during assembly anyway, using some good quality grease. But, it just seems that at highway speeds those little 8" wheels are going to be turning awfully fast.

Does anyone have any experience with those smaller wheels?

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for the share :thumbsup:

Good to see some DIY on this site, especially some tips on how to save some $$$.

lets see more DIY's please