Sign in to follow this  

04 TTR 125 Bottom End - Segment Screw Stuck

Disassembling to split case and inspect shifter and gears due to serious clicking in 2nd Gear. Under Kick Axle and Shift Shaft, P 4-53,54, Remove Segment screw requires T30 bit, but I can't get it off. Used a hammer driver, still no go. Installation on P 4-55 shows only tighten to 8.7 ft-lb, so why is it so hard to remove. Don't want to strip it either. Any help is appreciated.

It also says to use a bit of Loctite on the segment screw threads upon assembling, so it probably has some Loctite on it right now.

I'd try some heat to loosen the Loctite.

Ok, so skipped the segment screw for now (little worried about heating around aluminum cases), got stator, flywheel, timing chain and guard off other side, and it looks like I'm ready to split the cases. According to diagram, the segment screw does not look that long, but does it hold anything else on underneath (i.e., between cases, prevent cases from splitting)? Also, the harmonic balancer (3 bolt puller) looks to fit in as case splitter, will anything fall out as I disassemble, do I simply lean on right (clutch) case side? thanks for any insight.