Sign in to follow this  

Hinson cluch for a crf 450r

Ha everyone I am new to the site and excited to start a post with something that I have been debating about for awhile now.  I am getting ready to buy a new Hinson clutch kit with all the goodies. Basket, Hub, presser plate, cover the hole 9 yards for my 06 Crf 450r . My question is that I saw a video that said that you needed to machine the tabs off of the stock back plate and that may need to be taken to a shop to do so.   Does Hinson sell a back plate so I would not have to go to a machine shop to have this done ?  I would think that they would sell you a kit that would go on without needing to modify old stock parts right ? I mean this kit is over $1000 . What do you guys suggests or think ?  

you need to reuse the gear which is riveted to your oem Clutch basket.

you can grind or drill the rivets. Grinding is much easier.

You don't need to bring it to a machine shop.

I would ask what the short coming if your OEM clutch is, to require the expense of a Hinson.

The Hinson is a very good clutch set up, but when you're done your clutch will be worth as much as your motorcycle.  

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, the reason that I want to replace the oem stuff with the Hinson is that the price of the oem full replacement seems be be as much or the same as the Hinson stuff. Plus from what I have read the Hinson basket seems to hold up better to grooving but that is to be determined

Thanks for your reply, the reason that I want to replace the oem stuff with the Hinson is that the price of the oem full replacement seems be be as much or the same as the Hinson stuff. Plus from what I have read the Hinson basket seems to hold up better to grooving but that is to be determined

The Hinson basket is good, I have one on my 06 BUT I have the rekluse z-start pro. If you've never ran a bike with one and you have the opportunity I would try if before ordering another manual clutch. That's what I would do but to each his own.

Throw the old basket in a vice then grind off tabs, drill out middle and heat gear up with propane torch and go around prying it apart... Pretty easy if you have the right tools. And btw welcome to TT

Thanks for the welcome and for your tech advise. I have tried the EXP 3.0 recluse on my buddy's CRF. I felt really strong diving in the corners with the breaks locked. That was like nothing I have ever experienced , being able to push that hard without the worry of stalling the motor. However tight tech stuff I felt like a rookie as I keep burping the throttle and bobbing my feet. I race district 37 and think the manual clutch might be the best all around clutch.

You only need a Hinson outer basket.

OEM basket is a piece of junk, but OEM inner hub and pressure plate are cheap compared to Hinson and they last pretty long.

Based on own experience with several CRF450's between 2003-2014.

Edited by frankdecrosser
  • Like 1