Sign in to follow this  

Paddle tires, the more the merrier?

So I'm looking into buying my first paddle. I can't help but wonder if there is a big difference in the number if paddles for a tire. The more the merrier right? I would assume the more paddles would result in more traction thus more go, but wouldn't the fewer numbered tire want to spin more?

Long story short... 8 or 10?

Edited by Millar360

So I'm looking into buying my first paddle. I can't help but wonder if there is a big difference in the number if paddles for a tire. The more the merrier right? I would assume the more paddles would result in more traction thus more go, but wouldn't the fewer numbered tire want to spin more?

Long story short... 8 or 10?

Based on your profile, I'm assuming you're riding a 350?  If so, you probably want to go with the 8 because there will be less stress on your motor.  Sand robs a ton of power and makes the motor work a LOT harder.  As a reference, 6 paddles are recommended for most 250 MX bikes by the tire manufacturers I've seen.

Rule of thumb:

500 2stroke, 10 paddles.

450 and 250 2stroke, 8.

250 4stroke and 125, 6.

Too many paddles will bog the engine. The right number for the power will give maximum traction while allowing the engine to reach power band.

The thing about paddle tires is that you don't actually ride on the tread, but on the carcass. Yes, more paddles means more traction but too many paddles and your bike won't have enough power to push it. Fewer paddles allows it to slide on the carcass more, maintaining optimal rpm's more easily.