Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 jumps foward when starting it in gear

Just picked up a 2005 yz125.  Bike runs flawlessly and shifts fine.  I was riding it all weekend and didnt seem to notice this problem until this morning.  I took it for 2 laps around a field and then tried starting it again but didn't put the bike in neutral, just held the clutch in.  When I kicked it the whole bike jumped forward like I wasn't holding the clutch in.  It happened a few more times and then I gave it a little more gas and the bike jumped forward but then settled and idled fine and wasnt trying to move forward.  I even got off the bike to see if my weight was holding it down but it wasnt and the bike stayed put.  Is this normal?  Before this I had a crf150 that I never had a problem with starting in 1st gear and like I said I have no problem shifting and it starts up totally fine in neutral. 

Check if there are grooves in the fingers on the clutch basket. If there are replace it. Problem solved. Another sign its the basket is start it put it in gear and rev it with the clutch in. If it lurches forward its the basket.

ok ill try that tomorrow.  I changed the transmission oil in it when i first got it and put Quaker State 10w30 motor oil in it because the service manual said to put 10w30 in it.  Any chance that using that oil is messing it up?

Baskets are wear items.  It will happen eventually on any motorcycle. 

I seriously doubt the oil is the problem but you want to run motorcycle oil instead of regular car oil. The friction modifiers in car oil can cause clutch slippage. Look for a JASO rating.