Sign in to follow this  

SL125 Throttle Issue

Recently I bought an old SL125 just for around town use. It is a great little bike--when it runs.

Anyway, it was sitting around for a few days while I waited on the parts and tools to fix a clutch issue. after I finished the repair (hopefully) I reached up and tested the throttle, more out of habit than anything else. It just kind of rattled loosely around, not snapping back at all, offering no resistance. If I start the bike, it runs all out, jumping to nearly the red zone and staying there. Anybody have any notion as to what is up? Or for that matter, what could happen to the throttle cable just from two days of sitting? Is there any chance the answer isn't "replace the cable"? They are hard to find, after all.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If there is no resistance with the throttle, the slide is not going all the way down. You need to take the top of the car off and see why!

Yeah, I finally peered through the airbox end of the carb, saw a lack of slide, and the free end of the throttle cable wiggling around. I so wanted to avoid taking apart the carb, but it must be done. Thanks!

Yeah, I finally peered through the airbox end of the carb, saw a lack of slide, and the free end of the throttle cable wiggling around. I so wanted to avoid taking apart the carb, but it must be done. Thanks!

sounds like your carb needs a cleaning.  It's no big deal, just take note how many turns the fuel screw is out.  I also loosen up old cables with some viscous lube, just pull the cable as far from the housing you can, squirt some in and work the cable back and forth, and repeat at the other end.  good luck!

• Like 1

That solved it easily enough. Something was crudding up the needle jet, getting the needle stuck in there. Now the low jet is giving me problems again, but I am quitting while I am ahead. Thanks everyone.