Sign in to follow this  

'11 150XC vs '15 150SX (suspension problems)

Hello everybody, I'm trying to decide what bike to buy. I currently have a 2011 150XC and love how much fun the bike is, powerful, light, and fits my riding style which includes moto and trails. But I have been riding mostly motocross lately. The one thing I do not like is the suspension, its pretty harsh and the front end is super light and likes to swap around. I have had the suspension re-valved for motocross and my weight (150 lbs, stock springs) and it helped, but its not even close to how plush my '06 kawi was on the track. I will be purchasing a new bike (2015 model) in the next few months, and am leaning towards the 150SX, but am concerned that the suspension, even tuned for me, will still be harsh and the same as my XC so I'm debating on going with Yamaha. Have there been many changes made suspension wise to keep me on orange? 

Who did your suspension?  Generally they will do it again to make it right.  Ultimately you might find that you need a steering stabilizer.  That's what I ended up doing.  I now run a stabilizer on all my bikes and it improves them all, buy my KTM seemed to be the only one that really needed it.

As for the yamaha, don't be swayed too much by all the talk you hear of how wonderful the SSS suspension is.  I have two YZ 125s.  One has stock SSS suspension, and one is an 05 (pre SSS) that has been revalved by Factory Connection.  The SSS suspension is decent for sure, but it is no where near as nice as the FC revalved YZ, or even my revalved KTM.  I think a lot of guys talking about how great the SSS suspension is have never ridden anything else, or at least have very limited experience.  YZs are great bikes for sure, but don't run out and by one expecting the stock suspension to be magic.  A good suspension company can make any modern bike work really well.

• Like 1

Not sure how many changes WP made between 11 and 13, but I like my 13 a lot. I'm about 165 in gear and it works great moto and trail. I adjust clickers according to KTM specs and have been very happy. I might not be as picky as you? :)

BTW, if you think you are going to sell your XC let me know. I've been looking for an 11....

I sent my 2010 forks to Stillwell down in the Phoenix area, now they work great. These forks need more than revalving, base valves don't flow enough oil through them. 

I sent my 2010 forks to Stillwell down in the Phoenix area, now they work great. These forks need more than revalving, base valves don't flow enough oil through them. 

How much do you weigh, and what springs are you running?

Thanks for the replies, I will look into a steering stabilizer and play with the clickers a little more. 

Poldies4, I just listed the bike for sale yesterday.     http://evansville.craigslist.org/mcy/4612269257.html

Nice bike, I think you made a minor error in your ad though.

You say "I run Motorex oil in the crank, and AMSoil in the fuel.". It is the oil in the fuel that lubricates the "crank". You probably made a mistake for "crankcase" which would make sense in engines where crank has an oil bath of some sort. On a two stroke though the oil you are refering to is the oil in the transmission, which is sealed off from the "crankcase". 

Sorry if this seems petty, just trying to help you sound mo edumacated....  :thumbsup: 

Nice bike, I think you made a minor error in your ad though.

You say "I run Motorex oil in the crank, and AMSoil in the fuel.". It is the oil in the fuel that lubricates the "crank". You probably made a mistake for "crankcase" which would make sense in engines where crank has an oil bath of some sort. On a two stroke though the oil you are refering to is the oil in the transmission, which is sealed off from the "crankcase". 

Sorry if this seems petty, just trying to help you sound mo edumacated....  :thumbsup:

Ah damn I know better than that, been away from 2 strokes too long! Thank you for the heads up! No wonder I havent gotten any calls about, people are probably thinking "who knows what he's putting in that bike, and where!" lol. 

Edited by Bullitt208
  • Like 1

Ah damn I knew that too, been away from 2 strokes too long! Thank you for the heads up! No wonder I havent gotten any calls about, people are probably thinking "who knows what he's putting in that bike, and where!" lol. 

They were waiting to hear what color power bands you installed  ;)

Ah damn I know better than that, been away from 2 strokes too long! Thank you for the heads up! No wonder I havent gotten any calls about, people are probably thinking "who knows what he's putting in that bike, and where!" lol. 

DP - NO NOT THAT KIND OF DP  you sick bastards!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Squid_Racer

How much do you weigh, and what springs are you running?

I weigh 153 plus gear. Running .40kg springs.