Sign in to follow this  

JGR

I really wish they sold the bikes already like that. It would have a pretty price tag but eventually you are going to sink that much money into it

None of the high-dollar pro bikes are even close to being practical for 99% of riders. And hardly anyone sinks that level of $ into their own bikes as JGR does into their bikes lol.  Also, most people would not be any faster on a built 450 than a stock one, in my opinion. Yamaha already has a 60hp 450 that can probably go 100hrs with very little  maintenance needed. What more to you really need, if you are honest with yourself and your abilities. You build yourself  JGR bikes, you are likely not going to be making anymore use out of the added hp, plus the reliability is sacrificed. In a dream world, it would be nice to ride for them and experience everything they have to offer, the suspension, custom parts etc. But for normal racers, it is way overkill. 

• Like 8

None of the high-dollar pro bikes are even close to being practical for 99% of riders. And hardly anyone sinks that level of $ into their own bikes as JGR does into their bikes lol. Also, most people would not be any faster on a built 450 than a stock one, in my opinion. Yamaha already has a 60hp 450 that can probably go 100hrs with very little maintenance needed. What more to you really need, if you are honest with yourself and your abilities. You build yourself JGR bikes, you are likely not going to be making anymore use out of the added hp, plus the reliability is sacrificed. In a dream world, it would be nice to ride for them and experience everything they have to offer, the suspension, custom parts etc. But for normal racers, it is way overkill.

I get where you're coming from. Sort of like pro drag racing don't they rebuild the engine after every race?

None of the high-dollar pro bikes are even close to being practical for 99% of riders. And hardly anyone sinks that level of $ into their own bikes as JGR does into their bikes lol. Also, most people would not be any faster on a built 450 than a stock one, in my opinion. Yamaha already has a 60hp 450 that can probably go 100hrs with very little maintenance needed. What more to you really need, if you are honest with yourself and your abilities. You build yourself JGR bikes, you are likely not going to be making anymore use out of the added hp, plus the reliability is sacrificed. In a dream world, it would be nice to ride for them and experience everything they have to offer, the suspension, custom parts etc. But for normal racers, it is way overkill.

also the JGR I saw was a yammy 250 smoker. Go look on YouTube for yourself it's quite the beast. Just don't splooge on your keyboard
  • Like 1

I would imagine but not sure on the 450s. I know the PC KX250Fs the motors run for 2hrs and then get tore completely down. That is all-out with a pro riding it but still that wouldn't work well for a weekend Am racer, like most of us. Don't get me wrong, I see what you mean, it would be awesome to buy a decked out bike new, but most of the stuff done to those bikes wouldn't result in better performance for normal guys and would basically be money spent. it sure would be cool to have though, no doubt  :cheers:

Edited by ah665
  • Like 1

I would imagine but not sure on the 450s. I know the PC KX250Fs the motors run for 2hrs and then get tore completely down. That is all-out with a pro riding it but still that wouldn't work well for a weekend Am racer, like most of us. Don't get me wrong, I see what you mean, it would be awesome to buy a decked out bike new, but most of the stuff done to those bikes wouldn't result in better performance for normal guys and would basically be money spent. it sure would be cool to have though, no doubt  :cheers:

Yeah, that's the downside to a full race setup.  The average rider probably isn't going to need to do a full rebuild even with a full race setup, but I see what you are saying.  :ride:

My father in law had a sweet Ford Falcon a few years ago that was set up for road racing.  He had some $$$ then and decided to put a full Nascar truck engine in it.  It was sweet, and made 800 hp.  The downside came when he had to pay $15000 to get the titanium valvetrain replaced at about 25 hours at a cost of $15k.  Ouch.

He ended up going the cheaper stainless steel valvetrain components, since it was a street car.  But, of course, that came at a cost of extra weight, lower rpm capability and less hp.  There's always a compromise.

• Like 2

Today's race bikes are far more rideable then they used to be. Broad power spread but lots of it. Great fueling,suspension that just is incredible,awesome progressive braking and turning that is scary. That grip on the right side goes both ways. I'd love to get the chance to find out I couldn't ride that. Gimme a year and I'll get back to ya.

Sure seems like all the Yam teams know how to get off the line....but of course the motor has nothing to do with that right? :smirk:

Sure seems like all the Yam teams know how to get off the line....but of course the motor has nothing to do with that right? :smirk:

They do seem to be making some power, great starts in both classes this year.

I wonder how real the handling thing was, and if it still affects the 450's?  The 250's went with the rearward slanted engine also, and I haven't heard much about how that negatively affects handling.

JGR should do well with their first real top tier rider (no offense to Grant or Brayton), if Barcia in fact goes to JGR.  As long as he likes the bike and can finish a season, he should do well.

Barcia makes JGR a top 5 team. Roczen leaving KTM sealed that. Every mfg has a top 5 rider now.

Today's race bikes are far more rideable then they used to be. Broad power spread but lots of it. Great fueling,suspension that just is incredible,awesome progressive braking and turning that is scary. That grip on the right side goes both ways. I'd love to get the chance to find out I couldn't ride that. Gimme a year and I'll get back to ya.

For sure. You make a good point. I guess what I was trying to say was if you could buy a decked out JGR bike, the performance parts would be amazing to have but most people wouldn't make enough use of it to even come close to making it worth it $-wise. 

I wonder how real the handling thing was, and if it still affects the 450's?  The 250's went with the rearward slanted engine also, and I haven't heard much about how that negatively affects handling.

JGR should do well with their first real top tier rider (no offense to Grant or Brayton), if Barcia in fact goes to JGR.  As long as he likes the bike and can finish a season, he should do well.

I have ridden the 250 but not the new 450. Most people claim the sensation is more noticeable on the 450. It does exist on the 250 also but not enough to call it a bad-handling bike (at least in my opinion).

I think Barcia will do well on the YZF next year and JGR will take another to where they want to be.

jbarc will get some holey's but i think kroczen will take a chunk out of him early on. same with Etom the dude wants a chunk outta kroczen so bad in the supey's, never gotta chance to run with him last year.

The 450 was the guinea pig

Both the 450 & 250 have completely different frames than Bubba's nightmare

I wonder how real the handling thing was, and if it still affects the 450's? The 250's went with the rearward slanted engine also, and I haven't heard much about how that negatively affects handling.

JGR should do well with their first real top tier rider (no offense to Grant or Brayton), if Barcia in fact goes to JGR. As long as he likes the bike and can finish a season, he should do well.

The 450 was the guinea pig

Both the 2014 450 & 250 have completely different frames than Bubba's nightmare

Edited by meyermetal