Sign in to follow this  

2005 crf250 head problems

My friend has a 2005 crf250 and had to replace the intake valves and re shim it. He also bought a new hotcam stage 2 and the camshaft snapped. He replaced the camshaft and now one of the buckets that cover the left intake valve shattered and carved out a big groove in the top if the head. Now he wants to sell it cheap and I want to buy it? I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy it because I would replace the whole head and was wondering if it would still have problems If I replaced the head or if it would be ok? Would replacing the whole head solve the problems or would it just break down again?

Edited by jeremey_midd

My friend has a 2005 crf250 and had to replace the intake valves and re shim it. He also bought a new hotcam stage 2 and the camshaft snapped. He replaced the camshaft and It ran for about two hours and now one of the buckets that cover the left intake valve shattered and carved out a big groove in the top if the head. Now he wants to sell it cheap and I want to buy it? I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy it because I would replace the whole head and was wondering if it would still have problems If I replaced the head or if it would be ok? Would replacing the whole head solve the problems or would it just break down again?

Edited by jeremey_midd

More importantly on a 2005 is how many hours on the crank/bearings/piston/cylinder? You could spend $800 on all new head/valvetrain/cam only to have it throw a rod through the crankcases withen an hour if its the original crankshaft. These are race bikes, cranks will only do 150-200hours before they fail.

If the camshaft broke the piston likely impacted a valve. Just walk away...