Sign in to follow this  

xr650l needle question.

I hope this is my answer to my poorly running xrl but I noticed that the needle in the slide has a slight ridge at the top just before the flat top. Now this ridge sits jut on top of the slid and does not allow it to drop in the hole on the slide. is it supposed to be like that or not? To me it seams like it should drop all the way down and the flat washer portion should be what sets it to the correct height.

Also it seams to run rich a little smoke out the back and the plug is black as coal which also leaves me to belive the needle is sitting to high

Any chance of taking a photo of what you're trying to explain?

There is a plastic piece and a spring that are supposed to hold the metering needle down in the correct position.  The plastic piece twists into place using a Phillips screwdriver.  It would be pretty hard to have the needle be anywhere but where it is suppose to be with the spring between the plastic piece and the needle.

Dont have it apart right now the main reason I noticed it was I was doing the daves mod and the washer did absolutely nothing other then fill the space between the top of the needle and the slid with still some wiggle room winch I thought was odd. Iam thinking it might not be the correct needle or something. I am guessing the previous owner was trying to adjust it at some point and tried a different needle from something the air fuel mix screw had the tab ground off but that was the only other sign of change that was made to the carburetor stock jets slide holes were not drilled

Any one know were I can get a replacement needle? And see if that is any different.

Factory Pro sells needles with five clip positions so that it's easier to adjust.  You have to clip off a little bit of that plastic piece that holds the needle in place because it sticks up more than stock by a tiny amount.  That's what I have in my bike.

As you can see in the pics it has the ridge I was talking about and I slid it though the bottom so it could be seen at how it does not fit in the hole rides the same on the top side.