Sign in to follow this  

2004 carb drain gas

Okay so I got a fcr carb off of a 2004 crf250r for my xr650l and when I have the bike not running with the fuel petcock on gas just runs out of the drain tube, but when the bike is running it doesn't leak out.. my first thought was tighten up the drain screw but I went to go tighten it up and there isn't one there... The spot where it should be doesn't even have threads nor even a hole that goes thru. So my big question is does this carb have a screw that's suppose to close off the drain tube or not....? Thanks

1407727082281.jpg

I bored the same carb to 43 mm and put it on a trx450 and have the same question.. all the other FCRs i've seen including my 06 crf have a screw to drain the bowl.

Edited by chronicsmoke

I believe the older carbs used the old style overflow system to that hose, just a tall tube inside the carb that will drain if the fuel level gets too high. So, sounds like your float system needle and seat aren't closing off the fuel properly, they could be worn or dirty.

• Like 2

Some years have the drain screw, some dont. As eddie said, its you float level or valve thats flooding your carb.

I have a 2004 as well and was also wondering where the drain screw was to drain the carb before storing it away.  I looked in the service manual and it shows that a drain screw is available on 2005 and beyond. 

Edited by thumper997