Sign in to follow this  

2010 RM-Z 450 backfiring problems.

Hey guys. I just recently got my self a 2010 Suzuki RM-Z 450 and the bike is great, loving it. The only riding that I have been doing with it is bombing up and down gravel roads. Every time I'm out for a rip and I'm holding the throttle at one position the bikes RPM's jump throw out a couple 100 rev's and when I'm wide open 5th gear bouncing off the rev limiter the bike will just backfire like crazy. And it will only do it once the bike gets hot. Really wanting to get this fixed soon so any help would be great! This is the bike, ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407735897.022148.jpg

Your bike is starving for fuel when you are holding it wide open (high rpms), hence the backfire.  You need to run the richer coupler (gray) or get your ECM remapped to give it more fuel at higher rpm's and, viola, problem solved. 

• Like 1

Your bike is starving for fuel when you are holding it wide open (high rpms), hence the backfire. You need to run the richer coupler (gray) or get your ECM remapped to give it more fuel at higher rpm's and, viola, problem solved.

where would I get the stuff to remap it? I'm new to four strokes. Love my two strokes but four strokes confuse me.

where would I get the stuff to remap it? I'm new to four strokes. Love my two strokes but four strokes confuse me.

Buying the equipment to remap is expensive I believe.  If I were you, I would send your ECM to Motolab for a remap.  He charges in the neighborhood of $50.  Money well spent.  PM me and I'll give you his info. 

Buying the equipment to remap is expensive I believe. If I were you, I would send your ECM to Motolab for a remap. He charges in the neighborhood of $50. Money well spent. PM me and I'll give you his info.

so I was talking to a friend of mine and he was thinking it was detonating and to turn some octane boost in the bike and it made a huge difference. But my problem is still somewhat there. It doesn't run as rough as it was but it still has some traits of the issues.

so I was talking to a friend of mine and he was thinking it was detonating and to turn some octane boost in the bike and it made a huge difference. But my problem is still somewhat there. It doesn't run as rough as it was but it still has some traits of the issues.

I think the only way to get rid of the issue is to remap.  If you want Motolab's info, let me know. 

• Like 1

I think the only way to get rid of the issue is to remap.  If you want Motolab's info, let me know. 

Making sure muffler packing is kept fresh will help a little as well. Also keeping idle speed slightly higher than normal seems to help slightly.