Sign in to follow this  

650L street only sprockets

Anyone  have thoughts regarding best sprocket set up for 650L that will be used on street and highway only. Please let me know. Don't need a high top end (short highway portion..18 miles with as much street). Don't want to sacrifice to much on low end. Thanks.

Anyone  have thoughts regarding best sprocket set up for 650L that will be used on street and highway only. Please let me know. Don't need a high top end (short highway portion..18 miles with as much street). Don't want to sacrifice to much on low end. Thanks.

Stock gearing. No need to put taller gearing as it cant pull max revs in 5th as it is. Thats why it will allmost go as fast in 4th! And no need to spend money on high dollar sprockets unless you want the Bling factor! Steel Sunstar, PBI, etc work as good as any of them. Now put your money in a GOOD chain that is what will make your drive system last I like the D.I.D X-ring chain. I like to use the rivet master link over the clip ones as you will never have master link come off. You can buy the tool or just have shop put it on.

• Like 1

For all street use, you should really consider a cush hub like the one from RAD. They're expensive, but maybe less than having a shop replace the countershaft. There is also the XR650R sprocket option that will protect the countershaft form excessive wear.

Keep the chain clean and adjusted correctly until then. Too tight and you'll trash the countershaft in short order.

As said, stock gearing is fine for the highway. It's always better to spind the engine a little faster than to lug it. Fifth gear is not much use at less than 50-55mph with stock gearing anyway. Any higher and it would be an interstate only gear.

• Like 1

The stock gearing of 15/45 is optimal for street use.  I've tried a number of different ratios, but that works best on the street for all speeds from freeways to local neighborhoods.

• Like 1

MasterA210, Onederer, ScottRNelson,

Thank you very much for the great info.

It has become a bit more difficult to get to the trails and this will allow me more use options.

Thanks again !

It has become a bit more difficult to get to the trails and this will allow me more use options.

You can always carry a 14-tooth front sprocket with you and swap it when you get to the trails.  Theoretically I'm set up to do that, but I haven't actually bothered at this point.  It only takes a few tools to get the front sprocket off and put another one on there, then you have to adjust the rear axle to match the difference.