Street legal KTM enduro bikes

I'm looking into a street legal KTM and have some questions. I would love to have a new 2014 but don't think I want to spend 11k.

What is the average insurance cost if it is a recreational rider for a older rider? I'm 49.

How about registration per year?

Why so many displacement versions of the EXC's models? 350, 450, 500, 525, 530 Are they all pretty close in performance and power? Why can't KTM make up there mind? Seams really ridiculous!

How will the bikes mentioned above compare to my 07 CRF 450R. Pretty close or a different animal?

What is the EXCR version?

Are all the EXC models that have street kits on them street legal from the factory.

They seam to hold there value a lot more than the average MX or trail bike? Why is that? I see 07, 08 going for 6- 8k, 2011 exc 450 8k, 2010 exc 530 7500, And the prices don't really get cheep till about the 05s.

Y is it you are complaining about having a large selection to choose from? Maybe try riding some and deside for your self what bike fits you best...

Ktm keep there value as they are extremely well built and usually extremely well looked after

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

2003 kx100

• Like 1

See what bike should I buy,

Honda vs KTM vs husky vs beta.

My answer is in there.

So do you feel the 04 is still capable? OR do you wish you got something newer? seams like pretty old technology. I don't think I would go that old. I was seeing some nice 08 09s EXC 450s but then saw a video about the 08& 09 having some internal engine seal issue.

My recommendation is buy once, cry once. Go with a 500exc. And with the 15' models already hitting showrooms, you can get a new 500exc for around 9k OTD, don't buy some guys used bike for 8k when you get get a new bike for a little more. KTM has really set the bar above all competition on it. They handle so well compared to the older bikes and feel so much lighter than the older 525, 530 etc bikes. They are pretty much a do it all bike. After watching the Motonomad movie last month and see how they had no problem doing a 7000km ride on their 500exc's with only two oil changes and no air filter cleanings, I know now it can even be used for long distance adventure rides. As far as insurance goes, I pay about $21 a month (Progressive) for full coverage including crashes on and off road, theft (10k coverage + 3k accessories) and comprehensive. Only thing I don't get is uninsured motorist as that skyrocketed my rates for whatever reason (maybe cause I live in CA and there are alot of claims regarding that). Plus I ride roads less than 5% of the time, so it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Registration is pricy at about $130ish a year but that's only a fraction of my truck tag's so not to bad I guess. 

My recommendation is buy once, cry once. Go with a 500exc. And with the 15' models already hitting showrooms, you can get a new 500exc for around 9k OTD, don't buy some guys used bike for 8k when you get get a new bike for a little more. KTM has really set the bar above all competition on it. They handle so well compared to the older bikes and feel so much lighter than the older 525, 530 etc bikes. They are pretty much a do it all bike. After watching the Motonomad movie last month and see how they had no problem doing a 7000km ride on their 500exc's with only two oil changes and no air filter cleanings, I know now it can even be used for long distance adventure rides. As far as insurance goes, I pay about $21 a month (Progressive) for full coverage including crashes on and off road, theft (10k coverage + 3k accessories) and comprehensive. Only thing I don't get is uninsured motorist as that skyrocketed my rates for whatever reason (maybe cause I live in CA and there are alot of claims regarding that). Plus I ride roads less than 5% of the time, so it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Registration is pricy at about $130ish a year but that's only a fraction of my truck tag's so not to bad I guess.

John thanks for addressing my questions I appreciated it. I tend to agree with buying the newer or newest technology is the better way to go. And with the prices out there for something only a few years old maybe a couple extra grand is worth it. I'm sure the 13 & 14s are leaps and bounds better than the older bikes since the bar has been risen so much in this class of bikes. You never did say what bike you have, but I'm assuming the EXC 500?

So do you feel the 04 is still capable? OR do you wish you got something newer? seams like pretty old technology. I don't think I would go that old. I was seeing some nice 08 09s EXC 450s but then saw a video about the 08& 09 having some internal engine seal issue.

^^^ This is what I was warned about on the 08-09.

My 04 is very capable.

Very clean nice bike.

There are plenty of bikes even as far back as the eighties that are still capable with a good rider.

But the 04-07 450exc is a rock solid engine.

If you want more power. Just change it to a 525 later.

I was thinking of having this done. But I believe I am just going to buy a second bike or three. Lol

I figured, for the price of one new 500, I could have 4 nice older bikes at same cost. I just wait until someone trades in a clean older bike & have the shop call me. I'm in no hurry.

That's my plan.

John thanks for addressing my questions I appreciated it. I tend to agree with buying the newer or newest technology is the better way to go. And with the prices out there for something only a few years old maybe a couple extra grand is worth it. I'm sure the 13 & 14s are leaps and bounds better than the older bikes since the bar has been risen so much in this class of bikes. You never did say what bike you have, but I'm assuming the EXC 500?

Correct Bill, I own a 14' 500 EXC and love it. I use to own a 13' 350 EXC that I bought in July of 12' but sold it to a buddy as I prefer the bigger engine. So I'm kind of familiar with the new EXC's in both engine configurations  :ride:  Both bikes handle more nimble than you will ever think a factory plated bike can do and the fuel injection makes throttle response so crisp and responsive (No more dealing with carbs and jetting for different altitudes etc. etc.). The good thing about the 13' and 14' exc's as opposed to the 12's is that the fuel lines were upgraded with a quick detach fuel line system, making taking off the tank or changing out the fuel filter a 30 second job. So I would def. look into getting one of those years. 

I figured, for the price of one new 500, I could have 4 nice older bikes at same cost. I just wait until someone trades in a clean older bike & have the shop call me. I'm in no hurry.

That's my plan.

Or just have one great bike that will blow your expectations and will make you not want to ride any other bike  ?  :ride:

I have an '07 450EXC that I have put over 5000 miles on and it has been extremely reliable. I bought a '14 350EXC about 8 months ago and the two bikes are worlds apart in terms of handling. The 450 is going up for sale. I've only ridden one 08 - 11 bike (my buddies '11 450EXC) and found it to handle very similar to my '07. Not that the '07 is a bad bike but the '12 - '14 frame has a totally different feel and IMO much better. $9200 otd for a 500EXC? Really? I think I got a pretty smokin deal on my 350 and it wasn't near that price. I doubt you'll find that good a deal in SoCal. $10k - 10.5k otd is probably more realistic. The risk in a used 4 stroke is not knowing the history. If you grenade a 4 stroke motor it's generally at least a couple of thousand to repair. The price needs to reflect that. The 08 -11's are all susceptible to the oil transfer problem. Many never have the issue. My buddy's '11 did it in the middle of a 4 day 700 mile trip across Nevada. Not expensive to fix but not very convenient. I pay around $300\yr for insurance but it's full coverage. When you pay $10k for a bike you want to have it well insured ?

Edited by PBDBLUE

Correct Bill, I own a 14' 500 EXC and love it. I use to own a 13' 350 EXC that I bought in July of 12' but sold it to a buddy as I prefer the bigger engine. So I'm kind of familiar with the new EXC's in both engine configurations  :ride:  Both bikes handle more nimble than you will ever think a factory plated bike can do and the fuel injection makes throttle response so crisp and responsive (No more dealing with carbs and jetting for different altitudes etc. etc.). The good thing about the 13' and 14' exc's as opposed to the 12's is that the fuel lines were upgraded with a quick detach fuel line system, making taking off the tank or changing out the fuel filter a 30 second job. So I would def. look into getting one of those years.

So John do you ride any MX? No one has really addressed a comparison to a track bike. I'm very curios to know how the EXC 500 compares to my 07 CFR 450R. Up till this new decision about getting a D/S I've been riding only MX. So I was looking for a street worthy bike as close to a MX track bike as you can get.

So John do you ride any MX? No one has really addressed a comparison to a track bike. I'm very curios to know how the EXC 500 compares to my 07 CFR 450R. Up till this new decision about getting a D/S I've been riding only MX. So I was looking for a street worthy bike as close to a MX track bike as you can get.

You need to talk to Monk.

He has a 500 and also races it.

I do not ride any MX what so ever. While the bike can technically do it, it's def. not an MX bike. The bike has a non-linkage PDS suspension setup, which works great for off road trail/enduro etc. But I would def. think it is not as good as a linkage suspension setup like MX bikes have to handle the more rigorous jumping and landings etc. But if you look online, people sure rip them EXC bikes on tracks. Monk has been racing his 12' 500 for countless hours, hopefully he can chime in here with more experience. 

I just picked up my first non-street bike.. 350 exc-f.

Couldnt be happier with it. Was originally considerig crf250L. Researched for months and finally decided on ktm. Bought new to get 6 month warranty.

Not great on road but does anything 450 dirt bikes can do and even more due to lightweight design.

Would recommend the 350 over 500 unless your doing more pavement to connect trails.

I dont even ride on street anymore the bike is so good offroad.