Sign in to follow this  

Best size rims and tyres for a 450 exc?

5 inch will fit its just alittle tricky to put on, if you go from above the swing arm and drop the wheel in from the top right it should go in fairly easy, you may have to remove the caliper, this is for my 2014 500 im guessing the 450 would be the same. The issue is more the tyres and not the rim, some tyres will be to wide and give you lots of chain rub but running a non o-ring chain will give you alittle extra clearance. Stay away from dunlop as their 160 is like 172 wide and you should be ok, perilli seem to be ok from what I see on SMJ, goldspeeds are fine, conti attack sm are fine.

This is how I see it

-If youre going to be swapping constantly between the dirt and sm setup maybe get the 4.25 as it will be alot less easier to put on

-If you want to do alot of track riding get the 5 inch for the extra grip

-If youre only riding street get what ever it doesnt matter as much

Edited by Romie

OK, the bike on the left is a 03 KTM125SX with a 5 inch rear. The trick is like what was said above but bring it in HIGH and sideways, then twist to clear caliper then it slips in. When I get some time I do a HOW TO video. I do the same on the blue bike and my 450SMR. I also slip in a 5.5 rear at times ;)

10593130_798732740148332_632033984310026

Edited by Debi

I do plan on swapping quite alot but if I can fit the 5" then thats what I will get. Thanks for the advice.