Sign in to follow this  

Where to adjust wind shield on CB 750?

Hello all, I recently purchased 02 Nighthawk that has a windshield installed.

Never had a bike with a windshield before.

When riding bike I believe it was way too low (4-5" lower than eye sight) because wind was making my helmet shake all over much more than with a bike with no windshield.

I raised it up until the top edge approx 1" below my line of sight.

Better but what's ideal placement?

Had about a 1" gap between lower edge and head light originally but now has approx 4" gap. Lots of wind coming threw that gap now but does not hit my helmet so that seems ok?

Are windshields on a M/C designed mostly for cold weather or what other reasons, if any?

Oh, don't know if it makes any difference? But the bike has soft luggage, back rest, a soft bag behind the back rest, and a soft tank bag.

Any ideas/help/instructions would be much appreciated.

Edited by adnohguy

Hello all, I recently purchased 02 Nighthawk that has a windshield installed.

Never had a bike with a windshield before.

When riding bike I believe it was way too low (4-5" lower than eye sight) because wind was making my helmet shake all over much more than with a bike with no windshield.

I raised it up until the top edge approx 1" below my line of sight.

Better but what's ideal placement?

Had about a 1" gap between lower edge and head light originally but now has approx 4" gap. Lots of wind coming threw that gap now but does not hit my helmet so that seems ok?

Are windshields on a M/C designed mostly for cold weather or what other reasons, if any?

Oh, don't know if it makes any difference? But the bike has soft luggage, back rest, a soft bag behind the back rest, and a soft tank bag.

Any ideas/help/instructions would be much appreciated.

I've never had a windshield, but understand it's something you have to play with to get right. Maybe a different windshield? Windshields/fairings on touring bikes are to protect you from the elements, whether that be bugs, rain, snow, etc. I've seen some touring fairings keep the rider mostly dry as long as they were moving.

Mike

I took the windshield off. Much better in the summer heat now.

Will reinstall this winter and try it out again in the cold weather... Just not used to it.

Yeah, sometimes it's also about the shape of the shield, which changes where it puts the air it displaces as you move forward. If it's an aftermarket windshield that clamps to the handle bar, try adjusting it to tilt back or forward a few degrees. I'm guessing forward and lower will give you the least buffeting.

I have an issue on my Ninja 300 where it's fine riding solo but with a passenger my head gets slapped around like a tennis ball. If I lean my head forward a bit it cleans right up. Just the way the air is moving around me and my passenger.