Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust, questions regarding power vs noise

I'm looking for a good compromise between noise and power. I don't necessarily need amazing power but I don't want to choke out the engine. The systems I am looking at is

-Yosh RS-2

-FMF power bomb/power core 4

-MRD pro with db killer

The reason i want a little more quiet is that I leave for work at 0530 and I don't want to be that guy in the neighborhood. My wife says she can hear me 2 miles down the road from inside the house. I don't mind how loud it is, but I want it quieter than it is now. Locally The only one I can listen to is the FMF combo so I'm curious how the others compare. Videos in YouTube don't do it for me because it's hard to gauge.

These are the mods I have

-CW 434 with middle later of the base gasket removed for more compression.

-stg 1 hot cams

-41mm fcrmx carb

And currently an unknown exhaust and header that is stupid loud, louder than any thumper I've heard before. Even Harley guys hate me. Lol

Edited by sumofergie

Post a pic of your 'unknown exhaust', maybe someone can identify it and you can buy a quiet insert for it. 

And save some $$$.  :ride:

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

Post a pic of your 'unknown exhaust', maybe someone can identify it and you can buy a quiet insert for it.

And save some $$$. :ride:

X2

• Like 1

Alright, they aren't the greatest quality but here ya go. It is an odd ball, it tapers out just after it bends up under the number plate then goes back down just before the muffler. The reason it is short is because it got dented badly and surprisingly it didn't really get any louder after I cut it down. haha I have been told it may be an old skool Pro-Circut, but I have no idea. It's loud as hell and I am guessing it is probably plenty powerful however like i said earlier, way too loud for my hood. Good luck guys, I have asked many people what kind it is.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407804183.448772.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407804195.932705.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407804205.495566.jpg

• Like 1

The FMF Q4 is probably your best bet.  The Powercore is straight through as far as I know so it will be loud.

• Like 1

Alright, they aren't the greatest quality but here ya go. It is an odd ball, it tapers out just after it bends up under the number plate then goes back down just before the muffler. The reason it is short is because it got dented badly and surprisingly it didn't really get any louder after I cut it down. haha I have been told it may be an old skool Pro-Circut, but I have no idea. It's loud as hell and I am guessing it is probably plenty powerful however like i said earlier, way too loud for my hood. Good luck guys, I have asked many people what kind it is.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407804183.448772.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407804195.932705.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407804205.495566.jpg

Yeah, that's an older pro circuit. And just so you know the tip is on upside-down.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's an older pro circuit. And just so you know the tip is on upside-down.

Haha, ya I did that on purpose. We have some not so friendly Harley guys that think anything other than a Harley is junk. So when the try to be loud and stupid, my tip just happens to be pointed right about face/ear level. Lol

• Like 2

The FMF Q4 is probably your best bet. The Powercore is straight through as far as I know so it will be loud.

Would the Q4 choke up my build though?? And isn't it about $80 more than the powercore?

I think overall after hearing my friends powercore and talking to some people with yosh's on other mx bikes I'm kinda between those two.

Would the Q4 choke up my build though?? And isn't it about $80 more than the powercore?

I think overall after hearing my friends powercore and talking to some people with yosh's on other mx bikes I'm kinda between those two.

It's abuot $50 more...but the quiet insert for the PC4 is about $40.  This way you can have your cake & eat it too.  :smirk:

Or if you're on the cheap, you can get a DG for about $200 & quiet insert for about $25.  :thinking:

I'm considering the DG's myself for my other 2 DRZ's.  :devil:

Go to ProCycle & check it out !

Edited by billdirt1

DG? I haven't seen that one. It looks like most slip on's would fit on my header.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this, but as I had mentioned before i would hate to spend a lot and then have my bike have piss poor performance. Am I just over thinking this guys? Lol

DG? I haven't seen that one. It looks like most slip on's would fit on my header.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this, but as I had mentioned before i would hate to spend a lot and then have my bike have piss poor performance. Am I just over thinking this guys? Lol

Lol, You're not telling me nothing, I hate making decisions, decisions, decisions... :thinking:

• Like 1

Lol, You're not telling me nothing, I hate making decisions, decisions, decisions... :thinking:

I too am terrible at making decisions!!

• Like 1

I had a DG on my DRZ and it is loud, even with the quiet adapter.  For the money, though, it was a hard deal to pass up.

• Like 1

I think I'm kinda leaning towards the RS-2 just because there are alot of FMF pipes in my area. I know they are proven, but I don't know if there is much power difference between the two systems. I have even tossed around the idea of a two brothers pipe on the header I currently have but it seems like those are really loud too.