Sign in to follow this  

Plasti Diping - Simply CHEAP Color Change On and Off.

:ride:  :ride:

Hey everyone, I have been wanting to change up some colours on my bike as I am a big fan of the appearance of my ride  :goofy: Of course theres the typical powder coating you can do which i think is most popular, but that is such a pain to have to take the wheel off, un spoke, tires off, take to the store, wait a few days without having a ride, and then not being able to remove the powder coat very easily (you can powder coat another color overtop as much as you like). 

Plasti Dip is a substance which comes in spray cans, which you can order online in hundreds of different colours. It looks awesome and is easy to put on and super easy to take off. No wheel removing necessary, no tires taken off. Simply wrap up the spokes and discs and sprockets to protect them from not getting sprayed, and use tape or paper to cover the side of the tire which would be vulnerable to getting sprayed/off spray. I think there is a certain order to do the coats, first couple coats are a primer type spray, then you coat the color you choose 3 or 4 times (when ever you satisfied with the coverage and color) and then there is a clear spray coat which you put on last, to protect the plasti dip and make it look like a professional finish.

I have never done it, but have been watching lots of youtube videos on people plasti dipping all different parts of there bikes, Ferrings/Plastics, Rims, Spokes, Swing arms, frame, and even the Engine and transmission. 

Has anyone done some plasti dipping before? doesn't have to be on your bike but just used the stuff in general.
What did you think of it, any complaints, problems, or hassles? Pros and Cons?  :cripple: 

Made this post to gather some more info on this stuff, and using it on bikes, or the good and bad things about it. Also to raise some awareness to my loving DRZ400 community because we are the best..! 

Cheers, HAPPY RIDING!!  :goofy:

:ride:  :ride:

i thnk its great..but its not as good as powder coat...

BUT that is also compariing my spray can skills vs a pro shop with paint guns...

i painted my rims white for 12$ ... 1 can each..extremely worth it..i had trouble with the plastidip tearing when removing my taped off areas around the spokes..shoudlve have let the dip dry more between coats.. and follow directions better..

very impressed tho..white is hard to clean tho

CAM00180_zps91c9e2a8.jpeg

5176_zpsb516443f.jpg

my video..a friend dipped his whole bike..heres peeling the fork guard..

PS HE DIDNT WASHT THE BIKE BEFORE DIPPING..still turned out good

Edited by 707LAKE

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407783652.296201.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407783687.096706.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407783710.948682.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407783731.152969.jpg

A lot of my bike is dipped, subframe, swingarm, wheels, levers, ect. Wheels were a pain but holding up good, levers are starting to peel but easy to touch up. Don't get WD40 on it or it will eat it. Same with gasoline, my tank was done but looked like shit first time I filled up and got a few drops on it. I use glass cleaner to get the dirt off, works well enough.

I've been just covering up stuff with white stickers. Hah.

The '13 SM with the three tone is ridiculous  (black, white AND blue).

I've been covering up the black plastics with big, white stickers.

I'm digging the white wheels.

Dude that is sick! Im going to place an order for a ton of this stuff haha, so the rims were the hardest? Both you guys look fresh as tits, looks like professional. I have been wanting to do my swing arm so bad but I didnt think it was doable without taking the whole thing apart. How did you do yours? And other parts like levers, subframe? Are those a huge pain to dip or not even?

Its like a double edged sword too you can cheaply change any color of anything and its the ultimate protector of the original parts! if you diped a brand new bike then when you sell it peel it off it would look mint!

Dude that is sick! Im going to place an order for a ton of this stuff haha, so the rims were the hardest? Both you guys look fresh as tits, looks like professional. I have been wanting to do my swing arm so bad but I didnt think it was doable without taking the whole thing apart. How did you do yours? And other parts like levers, subframe? Are those a huge pain to dip or not even?

Swingarm has to come all the way off. Good time to hit those bearings with some grease though. Next time I pull it off I'm powdercoating it. Plastidip was more of a test run. Still holding up good though just a few nicks from rocks and stuff

There is a channel on youtube, dipyourcar, which has lots of good tips and tricks for plastidipping. They also sell full size kits, as well as new nozzles for the cans.

• Like 1

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407960320.877476.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407960344.187639.jpg

I dipped my entire S model I used to have and it turned out great kept it flat black for the stealth fighter look! Only downfall was getting gas on the tank messed it up. Now I have an E and just bought black plastics instead!

• Like 2

Yes never use plasti on the gas tank. Use a vinyl or real paint. I dipped the chrome tips on my exhaust of my truck and no issue's. I sprayed my exhaust on my z with bbq grill paint. Pretty sure plasti will come off as the exhaust is much hotter than my truck exhaust

• Like 1

I just did the wheels of my car.  I wouldn't do it to a motorcycle that was ridden offroad, but for a SM it would probably be fine.  Just doesnt seem like brush and dirt naps would do it any favors.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407960320.877476.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407960344.187639.jpg

I dipped my entire S model I used to have and it turned out great kept it flat black for the stealth fighter look! Only downfall was getting gas on the tank messed it up. Now I have an E and just bought black plastics instead!

Very nice,  you should do the rims too IMO. 

Nice job! Definitely gives it the stealth look, and is so much better than the stock black plastics imo. Dipping the rims a red or black with a slight shimmering gold would look cool.

How many cans did it take to do the full body? Did you spray a couple coats of the clear on after or is that just how the black comes out?

Yes never use plasti on the gas tank. Use a vinyl or real paint. I dipped the chrome tips on my exhaust of my truck and no issue's. I sprayed my exhaust on my z with bbq grill paint. Pretty sure plasti will come off as the exhaust is much hotter than my truck exhaust

How about if you sprayed the exhaust with a light coat of primer paint that is made for high heat and then put coats of plasti dip over top of that?

Heat transfer. Adding a thin layer of paint isn't gonna do much to reduce the transfer of heat from the exhaust to the plasti-dip.

Just spray it with BBQ paint if you want to paint your exhaust.

• Like 1