Sign in to follow this  

California license question

Hey everyone.

I'm looking into getting my MC license in CA and I was curious to know how the MC safety course works in regards to getting my license. I know that I can go in to the DMV and take the written test to get my permit, then come back and take the practical test (riding) to get my license. I also know that I can take a MC safety course which waives the practical test, then all I need to do is go in to the DMV for the written test to get my license.

What I'm wondering is if I take the written test to get my permit, then take a MC safety course, will I need to take the written test again to get my license? Or will I just need to go in to the DMV and show them that I passed the MC safety course and have them issue me my license.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

The MSF course takes the place of having to do the riding test at the DMV (for your actual M1 license) as long as you pass the MSF course. A lot of people choose to go this route rather than trying to ride the "lollopop" painted in the DMV lot because the MSF course is easier to pass.

EDIT: You still need to take the written at the DMV to get your permit prior to taking the MSF course.

Edited by spaceboy