Sign in to follow this  

Making rear number plate graphics last. Any help would be appreciated.

I've accepted that my rider will ruin tank graphics within a ride.  But the number side plates should hold up more than a weekend.   Our LL bike has both sides peeled badly, where the rider slides the boots back, and in need of repair.  We've used both Decal Works and Link MX and have applied them with and without heat guns.  We've installed them, we've had them installed.  So far those variables haven't mattered.  

So, has anyone had any luck with using clear tape and taping around the edges of the plastic so there's no place to catch the graphic?  If so, any special type of tape?   Any other ideas? 

Any help is appreciated.  

Thanks

From what I've experienced, the clear HD tape works pretty good. I also would trim the area where your getting boot rub since it's only a small area. The only real fix is "over the boot" riding gear, I know there's potential downsides but my number plate graphics look much better now. 

One option is to do what a lot of the pros do and trim the backgrounds before applying them. If you look at a lot of the factory bikes (factory Honda for example), they use white number plates and then trim the backgrounds right next to the numbers themselves, leaving about 1/4" of white background around the numbers. This way the front of the numberplate where his boots rub does not have a background on it to peel off.