Sign in to follow this  

plating steel liner cylinder?

Before you guys jump my case i know it was considered not possible before plating wouldn't bond and flake some would just say it is not worth it. Well i have a older 2bike smoke street bike on the stock bore size.

I thought i saw now that some of the vintage guys where having the cylinders on thier like 79/80 cr250's plated so they could just run the same piston and not over bore and save the cylinder. I wanna know if i could have it done to my 1986 rg250 cylinders or am i on a wild goose chase.

I don't know why anyone would say that it was not possible before? You can plate steel or aluminum. Hard chrome or Nikasil are both a possibility. Many places that specialize in Nikasil plating for cylinders do not have the required setup to plate on steel, but it is definitely possible. The company I work for used to Nikasil plate steel parts all the time.

Before you guys jump my case i know it was considered not possible before plating wouldn't bond and flake some would just say it is not worth it. Well i have a older 2bike smoke street bike on the stock bore size.

I thought i saw now that some of the vintage guys where having the cylinders on thier like 79/80 cr250's plated so they could just run the same piston and not over bore and save the cylinder. I wanna know if i could have it done to my 1986 rg250 cylinders or am i on a wild goose chase.

Why not ask the folks who plate cylinders?

Hoping to hear back if anyone has done this before personally and what there experience was like.

It can be done.  However, plating has a limited ability to build up a worn surface, it would be best to start with a new cylinder or a fresh overbore if you are going to do this.  Also, most places wont plate an iron sleeve in an aluminum cylinder because the chemicals used to plate the iron will attack the aluminum.  The sleeve has to be plated before being inserted into the cylinder.  If you are going to plate, stick with Nikasil, it works with standard rings and is thicker so it's less prone to flaking than chrome.

In the industrial engine world there were a lot of aftermarket companies that would make chrome or Nikasil cylinders for EMD engines.  In the end they all failed and everybody is back to running OE cylinder with a hardened steel top bore.

What is interesting is EMD uses a laser hardening process to harden only the surface of the liner and its use with a chrome faced stainless steel ring.  This setup provides remarkable engine life.  It's nothing that could not be done on a smaller scale.  Detroit Diesel uses a through hardened liner.  Isuzu (Chevy Duramax) uses an induction hardening process which leaves blue spots around the liner.

This is the Duramax, kind of unique.

LBZTakeout128.jpg

Edited by 1987CR250R

Sounds not possible then maybe cylinders are aluminum with steel sleeves and no new sleeves avil to have one plated then installed. Was hoping could maybe just over bore it since it's on the stock bore now and just have it plated but if the process ruins the aluminum cylinders then prehaps not a good idea to have it done.

You can do it. I had a cr500 Cyl plated over the sleeve. It was bored .080" over

There are some processes that use metal spray and arc transfer of nickel coatings that don't require submersion in a plating tank.  Do some searching on electroless nickel.

alum sleeve than have it plated is another option?    if your older bike is iron now there is most likely over size pistons for it, a simple overbore of what you have would be the no brainer. 

Its no problem. Plate over the iron sleeve. Call millennium or US chrome. They'll put your mind at ease. Like I said, I did it on a cr500 years ago with no prob