Sign in to follow this  

fuel pump pre maintenance

While I'm not saying the fuel pumps are an issue on the FI bikes, we all know they can fail and we all know when they do fail your stuck. Now while other than occasionally being hard to start(which seems to just be the nature of this bike) my bike shows no signs of a pump failure I still "worry" about it. Most of my riding is done in the mountains of wv and trying to push a bike back to the truck really isn't an option. I recently replaced my fuel filter and feel like that was a waste. The old filter was as white as the new one. I'm very cautious about what goes in my tank. I've giving thought to every once in a while running a little oil thru my gas, I mean just a tad bit just to help lube the fuel pump. Other than replacement filter does anyone else do any kind of fuel pump pre maintenance. I've givin thought to buying a backup pump and put on the shelf but that would be useless to me when I'm several hours into the woods.

The pump is pretty robust and can take quite a bit of contaminants running through it, believe it or not, just like in our cars. The pump can fail if/when the pre-filter clogs and starves the pump of fuel. The fuel lubes and cools the pump, adding oil or lube won't do anything to help fuel pump life, but it could clog the OEM pre-pump filter. If you want a fool-proof fuel system, remove the pre-pump filter entirely and run a finer mesh post-pump hi-pressure in-line fuel filter and keep the gas as clean as you can. The KTM guys had to do this on the 2011 350SXF (I think KTM has since added a post-pump filter?) plus, it ensures a clean injector which our OEM fuel filtering system does not accomplish.

Cars/trucks have both an in-tank mesh filter like our bikes as well as a post-pump finer-mesh filter that needs to be changed periodically as it is made to trap particles and can restrict flow when full. The pre-pump filter mesh is coarse and can let larger particles in, whereas the post-pump filter media is much finer to keep the injector pintles, regulators, etc clean of even the smallest of debris.

I use the Golan "Mini" filters because there's so much room on the Honda for them. Their "Super Mini" works well on tighter applications.

http://www.golanproducts.com/filters.html

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

We always ride the remote/mountainous trails of NZ in pairs with a tow rope. Over the years weve had to tow each other out numerous times. Sooner or later the pump or something else will break.

Edited by nzgsr

We always ride the remote/mountainous trails of NZ in pairs with a tow rope. Over the years weve had to tow each other out numerous times. Sooner or later the pump or something else will break.

Oh I know I've been towed out several times on past bikes and quads its something you really can't fully avoid just try to. Its just that I have more vacation than some of my riding buddies and I live only 3 hours from Hatfield McCoy so a lot of times I will drive down on Thursday or Friday and ride a whole day by myself before they come down. Plus some of them ride quads so it gives me a chance to tackle the single tracks when I don't have anyone holding me up. So I just try to keep up my pre maintenance as much as possible to avoid any failures

I was thinking there should be a post filter after I replaced my filter and reading all the dramas the bikes have. Would be so much easier to replace than taking the tank and pump out. It's good to know this has been done tho.