Sign in to follow this  

Moose torque reed spacer

I've got a 2000 KX250 that i primarily use for woods riding now and came across a Moose Racing torque reed spacer. It claims to bring the power more towards the bottom which I would like. I already have an FMF Gnarly pipe and Shorty silencer and wanted to put on a MotoTassinari V-Force reed block in but thought I'd give this a shot before plopping another $130 down for the V3 block. Any thoughts or experience with this?

They do work, been a old trick used in two stroke engines for awhile now.  If that doesn't do it for ya you will get more bottem end snap out of the Vforce reeds and you should also look in to a flywheel weight they help make the power easier to manage.

If your looking for most bang for your buck a FWW will give you the most I think. Give you less wheel spin, smoother tractor like power, and it will be harder to stall out.

Edited by moose_338

Thanks for the info. I installed it and plan on riding thursday. Now my carb is leaking fuel out the overflow tube so now I have to yank it off again and go through and make sure the floats are adjusted and needle aren't obstructed. I have been tossing around the idea of a steahly 9oz weight as well. Might as well throw a Rekluse in there as well when clutch is fried.

The float could just be stuck from you having it odd already, tap it on he side of the fuel bowel with the handle of a screw driver, 75% of the time that does the trick.

Hey Moose, tried the old tap with a screwdriver trick and it actually got worse. Pulled the carb out, checked floats and float needle. Float needle wasn't seating right due to a chunk of plastic about 1mm in diameter in there. How it got there is anyone's guess. Maybe from inside my fuel tank or my fuel jug. Anyways, all good now. Riding tomorrow with the reed spacer for the first time. I'll post an update.

So I got to ride some technical single track today, probably some of the most gnarly stuff I've been in. I'm originally from California so tight trees, gnarly roots, granite walls and such are foreign to me. I'm pretty sure my clutch needs replacing, I need way more bottom end and the motocross 19" rear and suspension need work.  I didn't really notice any  major difference with the reed spacer except that it took a tad longer for the midrange hit. Felt as if the bottom was more mellow and the midrange was moved up a few hundred RPMs. I'm thinking the Steahly FWW might be a better option and take the reed spacer off.

When I put the spacer on my 1996 Yamaha YZ 250 I lost all power. It bogged like I had an electrical problem. Took it out and it went like a shot!

Seems like going the other way would be a better bet.  You could try adding epoxy to fill in any gaps around the reed cage to boost the primary compression ratio.

If you really want a lot of low-mid you're going to need a cylinder from a different year.  97-99 run more like what I imagine you're looking for.

• Like 1

You can mod your pipe by adding 10 or 15 mm to the header. Also go with boyesen for bottom end. The most common thing people that ride 2 stroke forget, is that timing dramatically changes engine power. It's completely free and extremely effective. Use an iridium plug for smoother power down low. The list goes on really. Like there are other mods out there that cost a lot but do little. You have a good pipe combo, just do a little more and you will have plenty of torque.

Lots of racers remove the spacer on the modern yz250 for more topend. so doing the opposite does what you think it does. It's a good mod.

I have been tossing around the idea of a steahly 9oz weight as well.

FWW is the best bang for the buck other than suspension work that you can do for a 2 stroke MX bike in the woods, but I'd suggest going with at least an 11oz, preferably a 13oz. I put a 9oz in another YZ250 I had, and couldn't really tell any difference. Have a 13oz in my current YZ, very noticeable difference. Running stock pipe with a VForce 3 reed block and the FWW, bike will chug down almost as well as my KDX, but hit the gas and it's still very much a YZ250. Figure your KX will respond pretty much the same .. :thumbsup:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY