Sign in to follow this  

rear brakes

I was paying attention to the wear on my rear break pads so once i finally changed them it was metal to metal. Now i cant get the piston from the caliper to push back in far enough, what should i do to fix this?

I think I slowly squeeze each side apart with channel locks...slowly! Either protect the new pads with a piece of sheet metal or temporarily put in the old pads.

Probably a much better way to do this than how I do it. :rolleyes:

Open the brake filler cap on the master cylinder to allow the pressure to release when trying to push it open. I normally leave the old pads in and use something like a large flat screwdriver or tyre lever between the pads to open them up.  

Open the brake filler cap on the master cylinder to allow the pressure to release when trying to push it open. I normally leave the old pads in and use something like a large flat screwdriver or tyre lever between the pads to open them up.

tried all that still not going in, i'm not pushing really hard because i don't want to break anything. Should i push harder?

Also, I think you have to push in the middle of the piston. Push on one side and you jam it up. Did you try cracking open the bleed valve and pushing? If that won't work, something is binding.