Sign in to follow this  

Ok... So I filed down Showa shock shaft... Am I screwed?

I need your help again, guys. The thing is, I serviced my suspension by myself (Showa 50 mm rear shock) and filed the shock shaft like it should be done on KYB's, but (as I've learned recently) shouldn't be done on Showas (didn't have anyone/anything to help me at the moment). I've read that there is some kind of rebound jet that if "pushed out", makes Showa shaft useless piece of trash... You learn on your mistakes, I guess...

Interesting thing is that the instructional video I used as a rebuild guide was uploaded by some famous "X" (I will not name it) shop and deleted short time after. Now it has been re-uploaded, but with a SMALL addition - they don't grind shock shaft to level it with the nut, just around the edges, paying attention that users don't grind it completely not to damage rebound circuit of the shock. Now I see why the previous video was deleted...

Shock works great, no leaks, adjusters work as they should. Is there any way to diagnose whether I've messed up my shock shaft or not? Why doesn't it affect anything performance wise? Thanks.

Edited by sTAb66

It maybe the jet has not broke free of the shaft but maybe will if ridden , you can buy a castle nut that covers the top of the shaft

Thanks mog, you are very helpful, as always. As far as I understand, if the jet breaks free it'll cause rebound damping loss? I filed just a little bit off the shaft's tip (not flush as on my 125's KYB), maybe I didn't grind it enough for the jet to come loose. Anyway, I guess, I need to tear it apart again.
By the way, why KYB shock shafts are ok to grind flush with the lock nut? They use different technology?

I dont know how screwed your shaft is but if you just filed it flat, Race Tech has a nut which keeps the internals in.

Looks like this:

SPSN_6_clean_220.jpg

Edited by Vietze
  • Like 2

Thanks for the answer, Vietze. It's not too screwed, as far as I can remember, cause I immediately felt suspicious about grinding Showa's shaft flush like KYB one, cause it had A LOT of thread above the lock nut, so I slightly filed it from the top and then switched to the sides... Hope it's not that bad, but I still have to tear it apart, cause loosing rebound damping on ramps can cause me to learn frontflip unintentionally.