Sign in to follow this  

How many fingers on the brake?

I have always used just a single finger on the front brake, but lately it seems like my front brake has been somewhat weak.  Im not sure if my actual brakes are weak, or if its from my arm pump causing me to lose enough strength from just a single finger.  So do you guys find that a single finger is sufficient, or do you use two? 

Depends on the the bike I'm riding.  KTMs never required more than 2, sometimes just 1... stoppies optional.  Others I use 2-3 depending on the hills and "pucker factor".  Most of the time I "cover the lever" with 2.

• Like 2

How long since you bled your brakes or changed your fluid? More likely that is the cause of your brakes feeling weaker and not the amount of fingers you are using to pull the lever. If you have had any fork oil leak on your pads that will make your brakes extremely weak too. I am a one finger guy but I have longer fingers. I seldom ever take my index fingers off the brake or clutch levers, especially the brake lever.

• Like 1

I always have one finger one front brake at all times...i use two in the corners as i very very rarely use the rear brake... if im using the front brake alot it feels a tad weaker due to heat build up...

I always have one finger one front brake at all times...i use two in the corners as i very very rarely use the rear brake... if im using the front brake alot it feels a tad weaker due to heat build up...

Seems I used all four fingers on the Maico .  .  .  . but that was a long time ago.

And it still wouldn't stop.

I might have used a couple of fingers of my left hand as well.

The old "crossover technique".

Edited by Jon K.
  • Like 1

On my YZ250 two stroke it's usually a 2 finger even when properly bled.

On a YZ250F or WR250F it's 1 or 2 finger.

On the newer KTM it's 1 finger or just even look at the lever when I'm tired and I'll go over the bars.

On all yamaha 4 strokes I've had, and the suzuki drz400s, I rest 2 fingers on the front brake lever but I only use one finger to lightly tap the front. In high panic situations, I will squeeze the front brake abit tighter. I've been taught the "front bar flip" lesson many of times to stay away from that strong front brake though. This is especially true in the sandy terrain within michigan. I do most of my braking with the rear brake, and I prefer it that way.

Edited by chittyrox

For my yz250f I have always used two fingers and depends on the terrain I'm in I'll rest 1 or 2 over the lever, and again depends on what terrain and speed I'm doing depends on how many I have applying the brake but never more than 2

i have big ass man hands any bike i ride is a 1 finger brake and clutch, but its good practice to use one finger if you can manage it, Much better control over the bike with 3 fingers holding the bars not 2.

You know, I made that Maico post sorta to put things into perspective.

But I see a real issue here.

The last new bike I had was an 02 YZ250f and the front brake was amazing.  Couple fingers was all you needed.  Maybe three if you were going to do "stoppies".

But what I am seeing on this discussion is people that are hesitant to use much brake in fear of going over the bars.

Really?  Have brakes become so powerful that people are scared to use them?

If so, that could/should be seen as a step in the wrong direction.  Give me a front brake that I can manage.  That '02 was juuuust right.

I haven't understood the braking power hype.  Maybe it's because I'm only about 165 in full ride weight, but I've never had trouble braking with one finger.  I can lock up the front wheel without a problem.  IMO, the Brembo brakes work well when they're new, they're very powerful/touchy.  But they're also more finicky.  Sometimes you show up at the trail/track and have none.