Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Temperature Range

I installed a Vapor on my 89 600 and I am seeing temps around 200. As you know, the sensor is installed between the head and upper oil line. I assume this is reading oil temp? I see people talking about 300+ at the head, but I have never been anywhere near that. Highest has been ~220. I can actually keep it right at or just below 200 most of the time.

What temperatures should I be seeing here? Am I right in thinking its reading oil temps (even though its at the head?)

Having the same sensor on my XR650L, what you are seeing is normal.  You will not see absolute head temp nor absolute oil temp but a mix between the two.  I've read that this location gives a reading only a few degrees from the oil in the tank temperature...

If the highest you are seeing is ~220, you are doing fine.  I've seen mine skirt 300 on occasion...  I get nervous at that point...

I am reading around 195 at the coolant line before the thermostat (XR650R). So the fact that you read a bit more is normal then. The highest I have seen is 210, but I have a cooling fan mod that kicks in at around 205.

Thats good to know. I wont worry. I like it because it also tells me oil is flowing up to the top. I would imagine the temps would get on up there if oil flow stopped/weakens.