Sign in to follow this  

Best tire for sand ? Florida

There's so many to choose from,and all seem to have good reviews looking for best traction in soft sand ,I live in Florida ,michelin ms3 have great reviews,but michelin sand 4 has great reviews to but not as many ,assuming it's a newer tire,,not to mention Dunlop geo max 31 and 11 ,Bridgestone etc ,,,,,again looking for best bang for my bucks,I'm thinking michelin ms3, it's reversible too,, any one have a suggestion?

Not enough for a paddle tire if that's what ur getting at,,mainly sand ,,sum mudd,,rare hard ,rare grass ,mainly sandy trails a foot or so deep

I have a lot of faith in the Bridgestone M101 and M102 combo. We use them in the mud and they hold up surprisingly well. I have also used them in the dunes and holy hell, talk about lean angle!

I run a lot of sand and I hate paddle tires. I have found that that shinko 520 works extremely well, at least here in my local sandbox. I also find that a 120 works better than a 110.

I ride my YZ250 only in Florida and after lots of testing I run the Dunlop MX51. Yes, I know that it is an intermediate tire.

90% of the trails I ride are a mix of soft sand, but also, roots, rocks, clay, mud puddles and some grass.

My experience is: If you ride a soft/sand tire on anything but a well groomed track, the bike slides all over the place like riding on ice.

For trail/woods riding in Florida there is not much better than the Dunlop MX51

I was looking at that michelin sand 4 though ,not that many reviews though ,,,sounds to me like there is several good tires out there ,probably a personal choice deal no stand alone best

Like I said before, get a paddle or sand tire for riding the dunes.

Florida doesn't have any dunes and it sounds like you aren't setting this up as a dedicated dune bike.

The right tool for the right job and all of that..

There's so many to choose from,and all seem to have good reviews looking for best traction in soft sand ,I live in Florida ,michelin ms3 have great reviews,but michelin sand 4 has great reviews to but not as many ,assuming it's a newer tire,,not to mention Dunlop geo max 31 and 11 ,Bridgestone etc ,,,,,again looking for best bang for my bucks,I'm thinking michelin ms3, it's reversible too,, any one have a suggestion?

I know your situation perfectly.  I live in south jersey and it is as sandy as a beach (maybe more).  You get sand a lot, then some regular dirt in the woods, with some roots and mud mixed in but no rocks...right?

Contrary to others advice a paddle tire or dedicated sand tire is not the right direction for this type of terrain.  The tire of choice is the Michelin S12 without a doubt.  Great in sand, mud, loam, intermediate dirt.  Just not good on hard pack (like concrete hard).  

Nailed it ,exactly what it's like,,,I don't ride on concrete except occasionally test ride at the house,,probably look at tire u mentioned at what others have mentioned and go with gut,,price may effect decision slightly,,,thx though bud appreciate it