Sign in to follow this  

Xl 500 smoking

Ok so I haven't gotten a chance to get out into the garage and start taking pictures but here's what happened I fired it up no issue really I've had big bore bikes before let it warm up and took off eventually I looked back and it was smoking greyish white. Figured I'd try to ride it off. For a few minutes didn't help. I park it and I hear this boiling noise coming from the top end. What do you guys think valves out of adjustment some kind of gasket leak / oil pump not working. Or uber low case oil. Oil is the first thing I'm going to start lookin for

Boiling noise..Don't know what that'd be..Manual..Download all the parts for the XL/400/500 manual from the below.

The 79-82 engines are virtually identical as is most other things about the bikes bar suspension changes in the 82s.

http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm

Be aware parts such as pistons and the like are getting scarce or unobtainable..

The boiling noise reminds me of a time I ran my xr6 through some slow single tracks and borderline overheated it. The fuel tank was gurgling when I stopped. Sounded like the gas was boiling! Considering the proximity of the tank to the top end, I'm wondering if you were mistaken about the source.

I know where to get parts. That's not an issue they still have a few pistons on ebay new. So I checked it out it was very low on oil I and I believe it has a gasket leak on the valve covers thus I suspect the gas was not boiling I had felt the tank and it was also cold forgot to mention that. This winter I'll be doing a top end maybe throw some matched friction disks in for 40 bucks. I have had a xl250s for 8 years and wanted more power but loved my bike so I'm gonna put the 500 engine in after I partially rebuild it but I need to put the 500 through its paces to find any issues such as the valve ticking. Or oil leaks ect. I'm also looking at shaving the seat and putting harder foam on. Making custom led signals and maybe a fork conversion haven't decided yet. But first things first