Sign in to follow this  

Crf230f fork swap OR motor swap Ktm 85, 43 mm WP usd forks

I got hold of a whole Ktm 85 with a toasted motor and started to get to thinkin' that this ktm chassis, 158 lbs dry, full chromoly frame, super light PDS rear suspension, front and rear discs, slightly bigger than a cr85 frame, may be the perfect platform for a thumper engine swap, and since the 150f, 230f and old Xr200's all share the same motor mounts, why not use these bigger motors? 

Ktm 85 front end.jpg

I'm a fan of the bigger crf'-f's and my kids and I have a crf150f and a crf230f, both 2003. We did a cr85 fork swap on my kid's 150f - that was fun and the results were great! The USD forks were a big improvement in so many ways!

On my 230f I was even more disappointed with not only the stock suspension, but also the full size wheels! I have more fun on the 150f. So I got it in my mind to convert the 230f from 21"/18" to 19"/16" wheels, complete with a crf150f swingarm and link - got those parts! For forks, On a tip from Ochster, I looked for slightly stronger forks than the cr85 37mm USD's, and found that Ktm 85sx forks have a nice narrow mini triple crown with fat 43 mm lower tubes unlike the big bike fork swaps that limit steering....! 

Ktm 85 top triple clamp.jpg

yes, bar mounts are removeable for fat bar clamps, AND several holes so you can move them fwd...

Anyone thought of doing something like this? Any pointers from those experienced in a build like this? @settintrendz, I know you're the expert at this and you've HAD to have tinkered with the crf150f, xr200, crf230f frame mounts? I've always wanted a full BBR perimeter framed bike or even a Dave Miller Concepts chassis for these bikes, and it seems like the Ktm 85 may work in the same way and get me my dream pit bike after all...? 

If not, oh well, I'll just work on swapping the ktm 85 front end onto my crf230f :( 

Ride ON!

Ktm 85 front wheel.jpg

I'll lace a 19" wheel to this light weight hub, Ktm has a good twin piston caliper and bigger ones are available. 

Edited by FishFreq

There is lots to frame and motor swaps. I'm not sure you will get a tall crf230 motor in her without stretching the frame to fit.

You will have to try and line up the counter shaft sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket. Then air cleaner boot or air box fabing and so forth.

You might try to get it to a good fabricator and see what they say.

There is lots to frame and motor swaps. I'm not sure you will get a tall crf230 motor in her without stretching the frame to fit.

You will have to try and line up the counter shaft sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket. Then air cleaner boot or air box fabing and so forth.

You might try to get it to a good fabricator and see what they say.

I hear ya Stevethe, but have u seen @settintrendz builds? He makes it look easy! He rebuilds the cradle and raises backbone gussets....I know, the crf cases are way wider, and weighs, guessing, 20 lbs more? Just want u guys to convince me it can't be done...

I hear ya Stevethe, but have u seen @settintrendz builds? He makes it look easy! He rebuilds the cradle and raises backbone gussets....I know, the crf cases are way wider, and weighs, guessing, 20 lbs more? Just want u guys to convince me it can't be done...

Lots can be done this is a picture of my old pit bike, I still have. You should consult with settintrends or another good fabricator. It sometimes just looks easy, or is to a good fabricator.

XR80 framed bike with a XR200 motor

photo2_zps3d71d630.jpg

photo1_zpsdb564359.jpg

Edited by stevethe
  • Like 1

Lots can be done this is a picture of my old pit bike, I still have. You should consult with settintrends or another good fabricator. It sometimes just looks easy, or is to a good fabricator.

XR80 framed bike with a XR200 motor

photo2_zps3d71d630.jpg

photo1_zpsdb564359.jpg

Wow Stevethe that's a real tight fit for that 200 in the Xr80 frame! Did you big wheel that thing 16/19"? This Ktm 85 feels so light and nimble it's just beggin' for a simple air cooled 4 stroke! Have you seen some of the builds that guy settintrendz has done? He's got some killer frame jigs for smaller thumper swaps, but I want a bigger motor like yours, xr200, crf230, etc. Wonder what's the most compact big (200, 230) four stroke mill, any brand, out there? 

Wow Stevethe that's a real tight fit for that 200 in the Xr80 frame! Did you big wheel that thing 16/19"? This Ktm 85 feels so light and nimble it's just beggin' for a simple air cooled 4 stroke! Have you seen some of the builds that guy settintrendz has done? He's got some killer frame jigs for smaller thumper swaps, but I want a bigger motor like yours, xr200, crf230, etc. Wonder what's the most compact big (200, 230) four stroke mill, any brand, out there? 

No big wheels on this one it was made to replicate an XR80 pit bike and do some punishing.

Four strokes are just tall motors compared to a two stroke. So I would stick with a Honda motor. I have seen some of Settin's posts very nice stuff. But they started with a known build swap on one of them. CR85 frame to XR100 motor. Not that yours can't be done you have to look at the few things mentioned earlier.

One reason I like the CRF230  :thumbsup:  is it's relatively easy to make it a reasonably fast 250cc  :devil:  bike capable of more punishment :cry: on bigger bikes  :lol: 

.....One reason I like the CRF230 is it's relatively easy to make it a reasonably fast 250cc bike capable of more punishment on bigger bikes :lol:

Agree Stevethe, but the few crf-f things that bug me, suspension, low frame cradle, and the biggest, LEAD HEAVY low grade steel construction could be overcome with an engine swap to the Ktm 85. I like that the Ktm has massive (for a mini) forks, big WP fully adjustable shock, super light and much more open cockpit than other minis.

I'm thinking this swap could easily net a crf230f with less than 190 lb weight with 16/19" wheels, and that's a dream for me!

192lbs with full tank of fuel.

250cc

Wow, nice Guy!!

I know you ride a LOT Guy, so let me ask you, and please be blunt, brutally honest, which do you like to fling around more, that 190 lb BBR or the 150f that's 28 lbs heavier?

How are the ergos on that BBR, more like riding an 85, or closer to the 150f? Is it acceptable? Awesome?

My Favorite bike is my 150f.

BBR is a more roomy CRF 150r big wheel. (Wheels too small for me) My 16 year old rides it. It also has brutal power output. It's sounds like a 150r but has at least 5more HP than one.

(My 150f is very similar in power and sound to the BBR but is not as brutal or abrupt) (much more rideable)

You can loft the front wheel over tree roots, etc at will in any gear. (Short swing arm helps that a lot)

But we both like the 150f more than the heavy 230 (it weighs 242lbs with a full tank) (its a trail bike)

I still plan on adding 18" & 21" wheels to the BBR eventually. But Dubya wheels are quite pricy....+ modify swing arm.

100% better handling with the 18&21" wheels on the 150f....(stock 150f swing arm...I run a 4.10x18 rear tire)

Should be the same on the BBR ?

The BBR frame is slightly larger than the 150/230f

In the process of building 270cc engine for 150f. Dubya's will have to wait....lol

Edited by adnohguy

My Favorite bike is my 150f.

BBR is a more roomy CRF 150r big wheel. (Wheels too small for me) My 16 year old rides it. It also has brutal power output. It's sounds like a 150r but has at least 5more HP than one.

(My 150f is very similar in power and sound to the BBR but is not as brutal or abrupt) (much more rideable)

You can loft the front wheel over tree roots, etc at will in any gear. (Short swing arm helps that a lot)

But we both like the 150f more than the heavy 230 (it weighs 242lbs with a full tank) (its a trail bike)

I still plan on adding 18" & 21" wheels to the BBR eventually. But Dubya wheels are quite pricy....+ modify swing arm.

100% better handling with the 18&21" wheels on the 150f....(stock 150f swing arm...I run a 4.10x18 rear tire)

Should be the same on the BBR ?

The BBR frame is slightly larger than the 150/230f

In the process of building 270cc engine for 150f. Dubya's will have to wait....lol

Guy you had me nodding in agreement all the way....until you said "18/21" wheels handled better..." Not that I'd tried or even thought of doing a full-size wheel conversion on our 150f, but the reason, to me anyways, the 230f isn't as much 'fun' to throw around as the 150f is it's a super overweight 17 hp 'trail bike'. My thought was making the 230f lighter and 16"/19" wheeled like the 150f to make it more fun.

I'll take your word for it. ...I guarantee that you have more time in the saddle on these bikes than I do - I've spent the last few years riding my RMZ 250f (sold) when I went for a 'real' ride. The crf's, in my mind, were just 'fun bikes', too heavy and too little hp to amount to much. My only though processes on these 'play bikes' is to give them suspension more like an MX'er and to shed some of that crazy lead-filled weight! 

I guess this all goes out the window if any of my little thumpers were putting out in upwards of 30 hp (?) like yours are. The irony in all this brain power spent on these steel crf's is that I have to admit, I think I have the most fun, of all, on that little crf150f! We fit nicely <3 ! It's still left to be seen if I can make my 230f as loveable! 

Guy if you ever think of selling that BBR frame Lmk! That would be so much easier than this hair-brained Crf230f motor transplant into a Ktm 85 idea. I'm sure the Ktm is still way smaller than your BBR...

• Like 1

Just a little chime in on a 18" and 21" wheel set.

If your not riding the bike with other big bikes small wheels are fine.

However the big wheels are much faster and handle better as they roll over stuff much easier.

I did it and it is a big difference and worth it IMO.

• Like 2

Just a little chime in on a 18" and 21" wheel set.

If your not riding the bike with other big bikes small wheels are fine.

However the big wheels are much faster and handle better as they roll over stuff much easier.

I did it and it is a big difference and worth it IMO.

I could totally see how it would help u bounce over logs, rocks far better, but would you do it to a stock 11 hp 150f? How modified was yours at the time of the swap? Was there any 'loss' in performance?

fish... didn't you say you have both a 150 and a 230? Swap the wheels and see what you think.

or did I miss something skimming back thru the post.

ST O.D.

NO. Do not swap the wheels just install a 230 engine assy with BBR 233 HC piston kit. Web mc402 cam and 230 carb all on the 150f

Ultimate sleeper bike will be more fun than you would believe.

Then modify the suspension to suit your riding style.

The bike will a ton of fun.

If you want it even lighter, Shori battery, lighten flywheel and crank shaft, CR85 big wheel forks, cr 85 front wheel and brake caliper.

Bike will be much lighter than almost any 230 out there and a plenty fast trail bike for sure.

(No kick start shaft or lever)

Run an aluminum sprocket and handle bars will help also.

• Like 1

Guy if you ever think of selling that BBR frame Lmk! That would be so much easier than this hair-brained Crf230f motor transplant into a Ktm 85 idea. I'm sure the Ktm is still way smaller than your BBR...

Lol if your serious, PM me.

Let's talk.....

fish... didn't you say you have both a 150 and a 230? Swap the wheels and see what you think.

or did I miss something skimming back thru the post.

ST O.D.

Hey OD! Yes I have them both, 150f and 230f, and a Ktm 85, did I mention? ...with huge 43 mm usd forks that are gonna make their way onto my 230f.

Guy, I'd consider the mods u stated but my 150f is kickstarter '03 so I prob won't do much to that motor. I've done the Cr usd forks, I'm building cr shock for it. Ok I've forgotten my point by now....time to hit the hay!!