Critique my new old bike please.

I picked this up today for $2100.

I know my way around dirtbikes very well but never owned Spanish hardware.

This bike runs well and seems to have about 100 somewhat indifferently-maintained hours.

I'd like to see if anyone can point me at a way to move the bars forward at the bases, new plastics that won't break the bank, engine idiosycrasies, etc.

It looks like a 2002-2004 based on the large rear side number plates. 1995-1998 KX250 plastics fit the rear, and you can upgrade to modern radiator shrouds, any year up to and including 2011. For the rear, you could upgrade to 2006 plastics, but the subframe changed in 2007, thereby limiting your options. The 2005-2006 side number plates are a bit smaller, more compact. FYI, a 1995-98 KX250 rear fender will integrate with the current side plates.

Front plate: Anything will fit with a bit of work. I used a KX250 on my 2002 that fit a treat, looked good, and was cheap (just like me). For the front fender, anything will fit, you just need to drill new holes. I bolted a modern YZ250 front fender to my bike, I only had to drill two new holes just behind the front holes.

For history on the bike, check out gasgasrider.org. Lots of info there and another wealth of information in the forums. Lots of owners cross reference with this site, but you will get much more detailed info over there.

• Like 1

It's a 2001 according to the title. Owner bought it in Big Bear used several years ago and rode it a handful of times he says. Looks like about 100 hours on it. It needs some basics like a tire and chain/sprox but runs well and the trans oil looked decent. Air filter pretty dry but not dirty.

With any new used bike, I'd change all the fluids including the forks.

Gas Gas are reliable but tearing apart the top end might be a good idea.  A lot of people like to sell there bikes before they have to do a top end.

I'd look for a handle bar with very little sweep. 

Have fun.  The 300's are very popular.

With any new used bike, I'd change all the fluids including the forks.

Gas Gas are reliable but tearing apart the top end might be a good idea. A lot of people like to sell there bikes before they have to do a top end.

I'd look for a handle bar with very little sweep.

Have fun. The 300's are very popular.

Fluids and top end are in the works. I dug though my bar collection and found one with minimal sweep and mounted it in the +2 or so position. Looking forward to getting it out next weekend to play with jetting possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

send the carb and head to RB Designs. 

contact gofasters in Oregon for a plastic kit.  they have a kit for $800 that updates the entire bike to 2011 style plastics.  includes a new seat headlight, taillight, subframe, part of the airbox, graphics, lots more. 

I plan on updating my 2004 ec300 sometime soon.

• Like 1

send the carb and head to RB Designs. 

contact gofasters in Oregon for a plastic kit.  they have a kit for $800 that updates the entire bike to 2011 style plastics.  includes a new seat headlight, taillight, subframe, part of the airbox, graphics, lots more. 

I plan on updating my 2004 ec300 sometime soon.

I looked at the kit and had a small seizure at the cost. Granted that it includes a new subfame and lots of pieces. Doesn't come close to penciling out for this as a backup bike to my new '15 Beta 300RR.

I did order the BRP top triple clamp with the tall handlebar mount and it was $200 very well spent. With a set of Mini Highs the bar ergos are tall and forward where I like them now.

I have put a good 15 hours on the bike since purchase and other than some very minor maintenance the bike is rock solid and performs VERY well in steep singletrack.

Next up will be an in depth suspension service, it really needs it!

• Like 1

I looked at the kit and had a small seizure at the cost. Granted that it includes a new subfame and lots of pieces. Doesn't come close to penciling out for this as a backup bike to my new '15 Beta 300RR.

I did order the BRP top triple clamp with the tall handlebar mount and it was $200 very well spent. With a set of Mini Highs the bar ergos are tall and forward where I like them now.

I have put a good 15 hours on the bike since purchase and other than some very minor maintenance the bike is rock solid and performs VERY well in steep singletrack.

Next up will be an in depth suspension service, it really needs it!

Pegs are yz cross over. I got some rear offsett to give the bike more room. I just got my Beta 300 ripped off so I guess I'll be cleaning my 01 gasgas 300 and getting it on the trail. It needs some work but it will be good after I work on upgrading the linkage etc. The brp triple top clamp sounds like a good idea too . Hopefully my Beta will be found but odds are against me.. still there are few here so that makes it harder to move .

Pegs are yz cross over. I got some rear offsett to give the bike more room. I just got my Beta 300 ripped off so I guess I'll be cleaning my 01 gasgas 300 and getting it on the trail. It needs some work but it will be good after I work on upgrading the linkage etc. The brp triple top clamp sounds like a good idea too . Hopefully my Beta will be found but odds are against me.. still there are few here so that makes it harder to move .

I read about that, what a crappy situation. Still, the situation has hope; hard to move that thing on the island. Hope you get it back.

• Like 1

That sucks.  You loved that bike.  That reminds me, I still need to get insurance for my bike

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

A quick update to this thread...

A friend of mine talked me into selling this bike to him for what I had in it ($3K) and the crank bearings seized on his fifth or so ride in as many months. I helped him remove the engine and we did a bit of disassembly. The piston looked like new but a flake of Nikasil had come off so as well as a crank it needed a replate. I sent him to a small race engine shop nearby called Twister Crankshafts and they pressed apart the crank, replaced the crank and rod bearings, repressed it and trued. They found an L.A. Sleeve in 250 and punched it to 300 leaving the iron finish. It's now fully assembled and sitting in my living room because my friend lost interest and bought a KTM 450SX in the meantime.

I expressed interest in having the bike back since I had already set it up to my liking and he made me a deal I couldn't refuse- $2K!

So he basically rode my bike five times, gave me a thousand bucks and rebuilt the engine for me. What a guy!

I'm pretty stoked. I love my new Beta but this bike is kind of special and I don't think I'll let it go again.

• Like 1

A quick update to this thread...

A friend of mine talked me into selling this bike to him for what I had in it ($3K) and the crank bearings seized on his fifth or so ride in as many months. I helped him remove the engine and we did a bit of disassembly. The piston looked like new but a flake of Nikasil had come off so as well as a crank it needed a replate. I sent him to a small race engine shop nearby called Twister Crankshafts and they pressed apart the crank, replaced the crank and rod bearings, repressed it and trued. They found an L.A. Sleeve in 250 and punched it to 300 leaving the iron finish. It's now fully assembled and sitting in my living room because my friend lost interest and bought a KTM 450SX in the meantime.

I expressed interest in having the bike back since I had already set it up to my liking and he made me a deal I couldn't refuse- $2K!

So he basically rode my bike five times, gave me a thousand bucks and rebuilt the engine for me. What a guy!

I'm pretty stoked. I love my new Beta but this bike is kind of special and I don't think I'll let it go again.

I still have my 01 300 ec too.. really at the prices bikes are going for I'll lose my butt selling this thing. There's just no resale for gasgas.. don't know why.. solid bikes that work very well..motor is awesome!!!... and they work great for ugly trails..but no one seems to want to buy them.. especially these days with 2 stroke 300's with estart. I may part out the bike in time.. but it's a shame to me. A bike like this should be ridden. My 300 is not nice like yours though.. mine had gone through the ringer and was a rat bike when I got it.. but I got it going fixed it up so it was working good but still needed  to be gone through.. bike still worked like a champ.. it had a topend done but suspension and a bunch of doodads ought to be redone..it's got a good low seat height too. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1