Sign in to follow this  

07 Crf250R Suspension Setup And spring rate

I recently Purchased a 07 Crf250R From the looks work has been done to it before, and the suspension probably has been changed. I am a Beginner/ novice motorcross rider at 125lbs. I can tell setting the clicker to stock position its quite stiff. And it doesnt feel super safe riding fast. I took the rear shock apart, found that the spring has been changed but has no markings to what rate it is , all it has is 03-87 engraved in it? 

I wanna know what spring rate it is but cant figure it out. Is there anybody that can figure that out? 

I set the sag to roughly 100mm of sag. And I took the rear shock completly apart to see if it needs new oil and check if the valve has been changed, it appears to be stock but oil looks new. Is there anybody that can help me revalve the shock to my personal riding ability. Im fimilar with revalving offroad shocks with compression and rebound shocks, I just can not figure out which stack is high speed and low speed. I have pictures if needed. 

Thanks 

The low speed shims are the 44mm ones that lay right on the piston. My stock 07 had 7, 44mm/.2 and 6, 44mm/.15 shims on the piston. Then a 37mm/.15 and a 30mm/.15  cross over shims that seperate that low speed stack from the high speed stack which is,

2, 42/.2

40/.25

38/.25

36/.25

34/.25

32/.25

31/.25

30/.25

29/.3

28/.3

27/.3

26/.3

You said you had 100mm sag, do you know what sag was with out the rider? If it was over 40mm, your spring is probably too stiff.

I don't know those numbers, but the stock rate is 5.3kg. And at your weight and ability the optional 5.1kg would probably be better for you.

I don't have experiance valving for a rider of your weight and ability, but for this 180 lb 56 year old former pro ( now much slower) I soften'd the high speed stack a lot, tapering down to a 20mm at the nut plate. You will probably also have to lighten the low speed stack , maybe remove a handfull of the 44/.15 's ?  It will be trail and error because everyone likes a differant feel.

I wouldn't lighten the rebound, just turn the clicker out more.  When i lightend the rebound on mine ,i had to turn the clicker in too much, which also stiffens the compression, Ouch!!

It was roughly 100mm of sag, and it was about 50mm , so yes thats why I figure my spring was too stiff, im guessing over 5.0KG, becuase my previous bike had  a 4.8 and that felt alot better. Im picking up a 4.7 which is perfect to my wieght, and will be getting 4.0kg for my forks also for my wieght. Becuase I set my clickers to rougly stock and it both felt stiff. 

I think I should set settings to stock, I opened the rear shock to see if it was modded, by piston or oil. Stock valve , but did have fresh oil. Im going to try with my wieght springs and go from there. But maybe The valving is too stiff regardless for compression. 

I would change the oil while you have it apart....I've opened up our suspension and thought the oil looked good too but my son felt otherwise....its cheap and the performance gains from new oil alone is worth it!

I would change the oil while you have it apart....I've opened up our suspension and thought the oil looked good too but my son felt otherwise....its cheap and the performance gains from new oil alone is worth it!

Yea, and then you know what your starting point is for oil, so you can make valving changes around a consitant viscosity.

• Like 1