Sign in to follow this  

Anybody switch from ktm 350sxf to the new 250f

Wandering if anyone has switched from a newer 2013 ktm 350sxf to the 14/15 Yz250f and how they like the power and handling compared to the 350?

Thinking of giving the new 250 a try might be tough to stay with the 450s on starts but after that a 250 should work well.. 

I cant say I did but I have ridden both, the yz probably wont hold up on top end (depending on sprockets etc.) but the one I tested was a fuel injected '14 with 13/50 sprockets and all the bells and whistles, the top end wasnt wonderful but it pulled like a bat out of hell I would even go as far as to say it would sexually violate my old carburetted 450 on take off, hard to compare tho because they both give you a very different ride, I found the 350 ('12) to be very controlled on the track and through technical areas and generally hust easy to ride whereas the yz was all or nothing not really an easy ride and definitely not the best for technical stuff after a while gets very tiring, my choice would be the yz solely based on grunt and brute power because of my riding area and style but I would suggest finding someone with a yz that would be prepared to let you take it for a ride first, I hope that helped a bit

Thanks for the info.. I can see being alot busier on the yz more shifting etc like you say. Be  similar to what it was like when I went from my yz450 to the 350 have to keep revs up high. Should help corner speed riding the smaller bike thats what im after and the lighter weight feel.. Im 185-190lbs without gear all of our races and tracks are vet type tracks no big stuff to worry about clearing.. Found a great deal on a 14 Yz250 but need to test one before pulling the trigger

I have equal time on both bikes in question. For me and my riding style (165 pounds before gear, A class, lean toward off-road moreso than MX) it's almost a toss-up depending on track conditions, how strong (mostly weak, ha) I am feeling, etc. I also spend a lot of time on a YZ250 two stroke and both the 350 and 250F are much easier for me to ride. The two stroke demands constant attention. The YZ250F can be ridden leisurely even in off-road situations but obviously it screams on a track. Hope I don't get in trouble for saying this but the 350 feels like a 250F with a big bore kit that also revs (many 250F kits are low and mid with no over-rev).

Either one is not the limiting factor on overall speed for my ability. The fun factor is purely personal, and as stated without spending quite a bit of time on both it'd be difficult to choose.

• Like 1