Sign in to follow this  

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!?

Hey Everyone,

First time posting, I have been lurking for a month or so but I think I need a reality check.  My wife and I are 2 months away from paying off our student debt ($86K) and I will have a $2000 budget to celebrate!  I did the sport bike thing in high school and college (Ninja 636) and I really like the idea of a dual sport.  Looking through this thread has sold me on the DR-Z but I need to know if it is realistic to get one within my budget.  Looks mean nothing to me, but being clean mechanically is crucial.  I can change oil and other little stuff but that is the extent of my wrenching abilities. So reality check time...is $2000 enough to get started?  I appreciate any help or advice!  

• Like 1

You might have to be on the lookout for a while but you can find what you're looking for

Any year range I should be expecting? Early 2000's?

• Like 2

I think it depends where you are located,up here you rarely see one under 3g's. Most of the ones for sale in my area are in the 4-5 range.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

ill let you know my secret since im not looking for one right now. haha. look for drz, drz400, drz400sm, drz400s, drz 400, dr-z400, any other combination you can think of. depending on where you live maybe look up dual sport or even "susuki" dont forget Klx400 variations..

• Like 7

ill let you know my secret since im not looking for one right now. haha. look for drz, drz400, drz400sm, drz400s, drz 400, dr-z400, any other combination you can think of. depending on where you live maybe look up dual sport or even "susuki" dont forget Klx400 variations..

+1 on this method. Its how I found my bike!
  • Like 1

Yes you will be on the look out for a while but 2gs is easy. Buddy picked his '02 up $1200 and it is very clean and runs well. Remember, you can always talk em down!

Any year range I should be expecting? Early 2000's?

I got my 2001... perfect shape.. for 2100$ last year. Been the best spent 2100$ ever!! Just s he up and it may take you a while to find what you want but be patient!
  • Like 1

You should easily be able to find one for under 2k as long as you are willing to look at older models. Around me you can either get a Old (02 and below) with lower mileage for around that. or a newer one with high mileage or beat to hell for that. If you are willing to drive some you can usually find at least 1-2 really good deals within a couple hundred miles of anywhere.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

First time posting, I have been lurking for a month or so but I think I need a reality check.  My wife and I are 2 months away from paying off our student debt ($86K) and I will have a $2000 budget to celebrate!  I did the sport bike thing in high school and college (Ninja 636) and I really like the idea of a dual sport.  Looking through this thread has sold me on the DR-Z but I need to know if it is realistic to get one within my budget.  Looks mean nothing to me, but being clean mechanically is crucial.  I can change oil and other little stuff but that is the extent of my wrenching abilities. So reality check time...is $2000 enough to get started?  I appreciate any help or advice!  

that part i highlighted, yes, it's extremely possible. lots of folks get all bent out of shape when their plastics get scratched, on their DIRT BIKE instead of just enjoying the bike for what it is. you can definitely get a drz in great condition for LESS THAN $2000. a friend just got an excellent condition bike for around $1500 in trades and cash. the S is the most versatile bike i've owned. commute monday-friday, gymkhana on saturday, tight nasty woods on sunday, then rinse and repeat. 

get your boots, gloves, and other gear sorted first, the bikes are cheap and plentiful. watch craigslist, and don't be afraid of bikes with 20-30000 miles on them. they only get to those milages by being RIDDEN. i would be more cautious of a super low milage machine because of all the problems that come with a machine that sits:

rust (inside, not the cosmetics outside)

water (see above)

cables

wheel bearings

etc

also, congratulations on paying for your college educations. that's quite an accomplishment in this day and age. many people think very lightly of acquiring huge amounts of debt and never looking past lunch time. pat yourself on the back and enjoy the fruits you've attained. again. 

ride safe, rock on. and read the FAQ section about electrics, MCCT, loctite. it's not scary, but it's a very very good idea for a bike you want to keep past the warrantee period ;-) 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback!  I needed that little bit of reassurance.  I am in Raleigh, NC and have been watching craigslist and bikefinds for a few months not finding anything in my price range.  Sounds like I just need to keep my eyes peeled and fingers crossed.  Ill be sure to report back when I find the diamond in the rough.  :ride:

• Like 2

I live in eastern VA and you are right. The lower priced DRZ market here is kinda tight. I got one in June but paid a lot more than your budget allows. Been watching the offerings ever since to see if I should have waited. No, I made the right decision to buy.

Maybe you can find a bike as the weather turns colder.

But, if you do see something, go see it right away.

Yes, this is very important. You'll laugh when you see so many more bikes pop up on your local craigslist when you change your search query from "drz400" to "drz 400". Having 2 months of time to search will help a lot too. Being in no rush helps so much. I've purchased things of craigslist because I wanted it now and regretted it later. Take your time and try low balling people. Whats the worse thing they are going to say is "no". Take someone who knows bikes with you... even if you know a lot about what to look for. A second set of eyes helps a lot to see things you would have missed. I've taken friends with me before and they just started saying "oh, this is bad and needs to be replaced" (when in reality its fine) just to get it cheaper...and it works. Try it!  :thumbsup: Good luck!

Just for shits and giggles, I check out Craigs list frequently and see a wide range of bikes with equally absurd or quite fair pricing. Take your time.

I got my '02 about 2.5 years ago for $2000 with extras like a FCR, IMS 4 gal. tank and he also threw in a riding jacket. It had 8000 miles on it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback!  I needed that little bit of reassurance.  I am in Raleigh, NC and have been watching craigslist and bikefinds for a few months not finding anything in my price range.  Sounds like I just need to keep my eyes peeled and fingers crossed.  Ill be sure to report back when I find the diamond in the rough.  :ride:

a road trip with the wife to pick up a bike is always a treat. 4 hours of radius around your local should do plenty to open up possible bikes for sale. 

don't forget about ebay either - LOTS of people will list a bike on ebay if they aren't close to a metro area, to get more bites. you can contact the seller and negotiate with out the ebay/paypal fees ;-) 

I recently sold my excellent condition, 11k mile, tastefully modded 2001S for a only a few hundred more than you are looking to spend so it's definitely attainable.  The 01 and 00 S models tend to go for a little less because they have the "inferior" forks and shock.

(My first post, Yeah Me!!)

I was also looking for something affordable.  I feel I did very well.  I would say that your region definitely affects what's for sale.  I'm in Phoenix, AZ.  While the ones I was looking at seemed to sell immediately, they were plentiful.  At least they were, when I was looking about a month ago.  But like others have said, don't wait around.  Go look as soon as you find something.  I missed 6 bikes in 4 days!!!  All of them under $2500.

So what did I get?  Glad you asked........

2003 Kawasaki KLX 400R

1500 miles

Full FMF F4 w/ Power bomb header.

Brand New Bilt Helmet (adventure style, in my size) and Fox gloves (not my size).

MT 21 front, Dunlop rear (predecessor to the 606) both in average condition.

Battery Tender and plug in (installed)

Fender eliminator kit (installed)

Acerbic Hand guards, color matched.

Corbin Seat along with the original.  (Sadly, it's off a Suzuki and had a Yellow strip on it.  Looks funny on the Green Machine.)

Guy was pretty sure he had another set of street tires, but wasn't sure where they were.  Might still buy them off of him.

All for $1900!!

It did need a few things.  

$100 JDJet kit and Kientec screw - Killer pipe but no jet kit.

$110 Shinko 705 set of tires.  This is my commuter, so I wanted aggressive Street tires.  I'll put the knobby's back on later.

$30 Oil and filter change.  K&N with Royal Purple

$25 41 tooth sprocket.  My commute includes about 40 miles of freeway.  I wanted the rpm reduction.

Cleaned and Oiled the filter and did the 3X3 Mod.

Power Mod in the very near Future!  I don't want to spend the time looking for parts.  So I'm going to order one from Edie.

Future plans - Skid plate, Hi-CR bar. 47 tooth sprocket.

Other than a little jetting issue, I'm very happy with my purchase.  It makes for a fun little commuter, even at freeway speeds.

Happy Hunting!!

Edited by GavMac78