Sign in to follow this  

Octane rating

Can someone give a definitive answer on what octane I should be running in my 14 520 RS. When I google 95 R.O.N. I get two different answers. Thanks

Can someone give a definitive answer on what octane I should be running in my 14 520 RS. When I google 95 R.O.N. I get two different answers. Thanks

Run the highest pump gas you can get, no need to buy race gas, they run fine on 87 to 91 in Ca.

• Like 1

That rating is European standard and not USA. EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 94 octane.

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

Edited by weantright

Octane relates to the need for less detonation

You can run 87 octane just fine in most off-road bikes

At 12.5:1 it's right on the edge of needing higher octane. 

When it gets hot out, and you do a nice looooong uphill, it might detonate. It's hard to hear, and usually you can feel it through the bars.

If you don't detonate, you don't need higher octane.

If you can't feel or hear the detonation, you have to look at the plug for signs. 

You can't hurt anything by running higher octane....accept your wallet.

The advantage to running higher octane that is real is the fact that you might run cooler, hence smoother feeling power.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help. Looks like 91 octane is the gas I should try to run.

I typically fill up with 91 non-ethanol at my home before a ride. 50% of time while on a ride I have to stop at a gas station and put in 87 with ethanol. The other 50% I put 93 with ethanol, when the station has it.