Sign in to follow this  

About to set points on XR80 - Tips?

So I've been trying to read up as much as I can about points ignition systems because I've never dealt with them before.  I picked up a motion pro flywheel puller and I'm building a flywheel holder with some flat stock and bolts tomorrow after work.  Planning to attack those points.  It looks a tad dirty in there and the left case cover gasket wasn't in great shape.  I'm hoping all I need to do is clean up the points and set them and I'll have spark.

What tips do you guys have for setting them.  As it sits I was just going to set them using my feeler gauges.  I saw something on here from Old School Al about using a multimeter for more accuracy and would love some details on that, but I PM'd him a week ago and haven't heard anything.

Let me know if anyone has tips and tricks for getting this thing setup.

I made my flywheel holder and using that a 17mm socket and my motion pro flywheel puller I finally got the flywheel off.  I gotta say, that flywheel nut was on there pretty rugged.

Anyway, after all that this is what I'm looking at.

VQ7vJnw.jpg

ztzh9y1.jpg

So based on what you're seeing there and aside from setting the points......what am I looking at.  Does this all look viable, just give it a good cleaning.  Should I pull the stator off and clean it good with contact cleaner and Q-tips, etc etc. ?

Well, I didn't get any replies so I just dove in.  I'm happy to report that I now have spark!  Tomorrow night I'll hitch the fuel up and see if she fires.

• Like 1

Took me a bit because the points kept moving...guess I didn't lock them down tight enough.  Got it to run.  Engine is noisy as hell and she smokes.  Not sure if a valve isn't closing all the way or what but looks like I'll be taking the head off to have a look in there.