Sign in to follow this  

New Crf450x Owner with Dual Sport Questions

I just bought a 2005 Crf450x. It is in pretty good shape. I have intentions of making it a dual sport because it came with a Baja Designs light kit which leads me to a couple questions:

The light kit doesn't work and either does the electric start. Would this be because the previous owner wired it up wrong? and what would be the best way to pull all of that off to diagnose the problem? I can post pictures if need be

Second, The bike would need a speedometer. A buddy of mine has, I believe a 2012, Honda 230 dual sport. and I really like the digital speedo step up that came on that bike, how big of a hassle/ expense do you think it would be to transfer that onto an 05?

The best way would be to remove all the DS and DS harness and start over

Most DS kits, even when wired up correctly, are still installed wrong; bad splices, not enough insulation, poor stress relief, no waterproof connectors, too small wire guage for grounds, etc etc.

Baja Designs makes the best quality kits, and you pay for them.

You need to fit an aftermarket Speedo, as mentioned. 

I would either use the Trailtech Endurance or the Voyager for the speedo (the Voyager uses GPS).

As for the Dualsport kit, I would completely remove all of the wiring and try to see where the problem is. If not just get another kit and start over.

The starting issue could be several things. Start by checking the 15amp fuse under the airbox door. Also check your battery, then all the connections.

Just a reminder, you need to pull the clutch in for the starter to work.

The Trailtech Vapor is a neat setup, which also shows engine coolant temp and rpm's, things you'd want for riding on the street.

OR, just buy a $15 digital bicycle speedo from Walmart, they work just fine on an MC.

I'm going to assume since the headlight and e-start don't work, the PO has messed up the wiring. I'd also recommend pulling the kit off and starting over. This way you can see what parts of the stock harness are buggered, and make sure the entire install is done correctly.

Edited by yellowdatsun

I went with the Voyager and the aluminum protective case. I really like it. This actually comes factory I saw on a new brand of motorcycle.

RZ Rob

IMG_8356_zpse0dd3f15.jpg

Edited by RZRob