Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 gas tank leak

I have a very slight leak at one of the mounting points of my stock plastic tank, wipe it off and in four or five minutes a drop will form.

I assume this means I need a new tank.  I'm seeing new aftermarket tanks of varying size for around $210 to $250. Is it worthwhile to search for used tanks?  Sources for either?  It's a '97.

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by davefarmer

The first thing I would do is investigate the possibility of fixing the leak. Their are a lot of new compounds out there that are designed to fix problems such as yours. If this will not work then decide if a new or used stock tank is what you want or an after market tank with more capacity better suits your needs. Both have good and bad points. As far as places to look for replacements tanks Ebay, OEM websites, Craigs list, and local motorcycle dealers come to mind.   

Bill, that's helpful, thanks!  Suggestions on what products, and/or sources for them?  That'd be the preferred solution.  I've also found a 3.7 gallon Acerbis for $210.

Dave

i would go to an auto parts store and ask for recommendations from them. There are epoxy formulations that work well when gas and plastic are involved. There is also stuff that works if metal is introduced into the mix. Obviously you will want to keep safety in mind as you decide the best course of action. 

Something to think about if you go with an aftermarket tank with additional capacity is the high end weight that will be added. Depending on your type of riding that may be an issue or something you can live with.