Sign in to follow this  

Ohlins suspension

i rode an 08 with Ohlins and liked it but for the same or less money you could have the suspension modified to work as good if not better. even if you did buy the Ohlins you will still have to valve it for your riding conditions so consider that.

Ohlins is a great replacment if your starting off with poor quality suspention to begin with but the Hondas are pretty good (qulaity wise at least).

• Like 1

Damian, I m running a full Ohlins setup in my CRF 450R 2013.

The shock is a winner, after the first run you can feel a nice difference..........works pretty good, traction is improved, good bottom resistance..............traction coming out of corners is better...........gives confidence to open the throttle.

Regarding the RXF fork, it works pretty good, runs a bit higher in the stroke than the KYB air forks..........small bump absortion is pretty good, eats breaking bumps pretty good, traction in corners is well improved, you can lean the bike and feels more traction than the OEM fork.

Respect to bottoming resistance, the OEM forks are better, if I go agressive in a few jumps in my local track I can feel the fork bottoming, it takes some confidence out of your riding..................the OEM forks used to work better in this category.

I need to say that I need to add some oil to the forks and test if oil solve the problem, I added some oil lask week and now its better, but still some bottoming...........I just want to feel safe and confident that I can go agressive without feel a hard landing

I always run with a garmin gps watch, in average the Ohlins set up (fork and shock) improved my pace 6,5% (huge difference), my fastest times improved 2,7%.

If you take in consideration the numbers, is clear that the ohlins set up takes less energy from you, I can really say that I m able to hold longer rides with out getting tired.................the OEM forks after 10 minutes starts to take a lot of energy from you.

Oem fork works wonderfull in nice smooth tracks with big jumps............but if the track is choppy, it start to kill your arms and body pretty bad.

Bottom line, I m pretty happy with the shock, I still need to work in the fork, but so far I feel great about the way my bike runs, I m able to be fast for a longer period and for me thats great.

Also I m happy to have a constant feeling of the fork, I dont need to worry about Psi or temperature changes........you start to know pretty good what to expect from your fork, nice and constant feeling............this gives you confidence in your ride.

Regarding the cost benefit relation, It depend if you are able to tune your OEM fork and shock to your liking, Ohlins is big money, for me it works, I feel faster and safer for a longer period of time...............I just need to solve the bottoming issue ir order to accomplish all my goals (with my OEM fork with proaction valving I never felt bottoming). If you have access to a good tuner and he knows the places where you ride I think that you can get a pretty good setup with the OEM equipment.

If ohlins works, for sure it works, it works great!...............but Oem stuff is good too, with a nice tuning you can achieve a really nice feeling.

I hope this help, regards,

• Like 1

The 2013-2014 Honda PSF forks are horrendously soft for aggressive mx. Once revalved, they're not so bad, with the 2014 having the better MV piston.

• Like 1