Sign in to follow this  

WR250 clutch biting

Hi guys, I recently had a WR450 come in because of the clutch biting when you hold it in whilst in gear and ended up replacing the clutch and friction plates because a few were warped which sorted it out but now I've noticed my 250 is doing the same thing but as soon as its hot it seems to get better (I can hold in the clutch and stand still without it pulling too badly and without holding the back brake) its got fairly new motul 10w40 oil in it and its never had this problem before, I dont want to pull apart the cluth and seperate the plates just yet because im not really convinced that the problem is warped plates I mean how can they just all of a sudden decide to bend themselves? Has anyone else had this happen? I've always used motul but the area im in has extreme temperature differences (some days -18 degrees celcius in the mornings) but even when its 30 degrees it still does it until the engines hot, thanks in advance guys hopefully someone has experienced this problem.

I do not know what temperature in Fahrenheit you are referring to, but I've always had better luck with the thicker oils in warmer weather. Anything under 80°F I would go down to a thinner oil. Thicker on an older/upper hour bike seems to work best for me.

My YZF 250 F's clutch plates have lasted from 110 hours to 195 hours. All of them,toward the end of their life, developed a creep.

Thanks guys, its an 02 model but what made me think is the clutch and friction plates are almost brand new because the engine was rebuilt right before I bought it but I did notice that the clutch doesnt seem to pull all the way in as soon as the lever gets close to the handlebars it gets tight has anyone else noticed that? Maybe thats a problem? (Does have the right amoubt of freeplay), the temperatures have also warmed up this last week (about 15-20 degrees warmer in the mornings) and that hasnt made any noticeable difference, end of the month I will change to a thinner oil and see if it helps while im draining the oil I might aswell pull apart the clutch too and have a scratch around.

Maybe just change the fibre plates I just did that my 01 wr works good for now but will see how long for

Yeah I guess....... I pulled mine out and put a new clutch pack. It's been a year and it seems to be working great and no more problems.