Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning air filter with methylated spirits

Just wanted to know whether I can clean my air filter with methylated spirits is it the same stuff as mineral spirits because I can't find any mineral spirits on mineral turpentine. I've heard of people on here using mineral spirits.

Sorry if it's a stupid question

Cheers

Even with belray

Pretty sure he aint using belray.

Have a try with metho. Failing that use kero.

Or be the anti christ like me and use fuel.

• Like 4

I'm gonna be crucified for this, but I use gas and immediately afterwards hit it with purple power or simple green whichever is closest and rinse it with the hose. Of course you have to let it dry, that's why I have multiple filters.

• Like 1

So mineral turps In australia is the same as mineral spirits?? I've just been using no-toil for the past 5-6 years and have changed to belray now coz I heard bad things about no-toil and just bought a brand new 450 and just wanna make it last as long as possible

Even with belray

Pretty sure he aint using belray.

Have a try with metho. Failing that use kero.

Or be the anti christ like me and use fuel.

Does dish soap and warm water not cut Belray filter oil or something?

It works pretty good with the stuff I currently use (I forget what brand it is).   I also notice I get a lot more cleanings out of a filter than I did when I used mineral spirits...and cheaper and less nasty too...  I use simple dish soap and water to clean my chain now too...works awesome :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It works pretty good with the stuff I currently use (I forget what brand it is).   I also notice I get a lot more cleanings out of a filter than I did when I used mineral spirits...and cheaper and less nasty too...  I use simple dish soap and water to clean my chain now too...works awesome :thumbsup:

not really unless you have hours to clean your filter, any of the other chemical options take 30 seconds to remove all the oil, so you simply need to rinse out the remaining solvent with soapy water.

Edited by Wild Alaskan

So mineral turps In australia is the same as mineral spirits?? I've just been using no-toil for the past 5-6 years and have changed to belray now coz I heard bad things about no-toil and just bought a brand new 450 and just wanna make it last as long as possible

If you have had no trouble with no-toil for 6 years why change now? If you're on the net enough you find bad things said about anything you can think of. BTW, belray is shit.

not really unless you have hours to clean your filter, any of the other chemical options take 30 seconds to remove all the oil, so you simply need to rinse out the remaining solvent with soapy water.

This.

I use solvent to break down the oil, and then wash out the crud with soapy water, until nothing else comes out.

. BTW, belray is shit.

Why? I agree with most things you say, but do you have proof of this?

It stops dirt, and doesnt fall off in the heat, or when its left for a while. Unlike another big name brand.

Dust test please.

Why? I agree with most things you say, but do you have proof of this?

It stops dirt, and doesnt fall off in the heat, or when its left for a while. Unlike another big name brand.

Dust test please.

Just fk'n with the OP. He stopped using no-toil because of what he read and not what he experienced for 6 years. I'm sure belray oil is a good oil.

This.

I use solvent to break down the oil, and then wash out the crud with soapy water, until nothing else comes out.

Yes, but is it necessary to remove ALL the oil...or is that overkill?   I mean 95% or more of the dirt is trapped on the surface....

have re-washed in solvent after being washed in detergent and water,  always got more grit out seen in the bottom of the solvent pan.

I like no toil, it cleans up easy in dollar store oxyclean :thumbsup:   But think it works best when the filter is freshly oiled, bike sits a few weeks and it loses it's oily-tackyness.  

Gasoline has always been the ole standby for belray blue, stinks though. Next time you use gas try it 50/50 gas and water, works just as good as straight gas.

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

Yes, but is it necessary to remove ALL the oil...or is that overkill?   I mean 95% or more of the dirt is trapped on the surface....

IMO It's best to start with a filter you know is perfectly clean rather guessing at. Chances are if you aren't cleaning good enough you're just forcing the dirt deeper into the filter.

Here's How I do it..... 

1.wash in mineral spirits

2.wash in soapy water

3. rinse it out with water and let dry

Never had a problem doing it like this.

• Like 2