Sign in to follow this  

Master chain link strange wear

Mine is the same but not as bad. I think it's from the lower chain guide. Once you replace it every so often (now looks like a good time) it'll be fine.

That happens to my Husky and KTMs too.  I assume its just from mud wearing away at the clip as the chain passes through the chain guide or around the countershaft sprocket.  Never had a chain that didn't look like that. 

Mine is the same but not as bad. I think it's from the lower chain guide. Once you replace it every so often (now looks like a good time) it'll be fine.

+1

I went from a standard chain to an X-ring that was wider.  The wider chain rubbed and caused that wear.

Thanks guys, I never had this wear on my 2 strokes, so I thought it was odd.  I took out the O-rings in just the master so hopefully this will help.

I took out the O-rings in just the master so hopefully this will help.

Now grit & other debris will pack behind the plate, and wear out the link from the inside...where you can't visually inspect. Personally I'd change the clip and/or the link periodically. I have a bike that mars the master link clip. I filed a groove in the guide...no more problem.
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I never had this wear on my 2 strokes, so I thought it was odd.  I took out the O-rings in just the master so hopefully this will help.

I agree with Bowhunter, that was a mistake. There's nothing wrong with that master link to be concerned about.

• Like 1

That wear is the exact reason why the clip needs to go on in the right direction. Having it installed the wrong way, can very well knock it loose

• Like 2

That wear is the exact reason why the clip needs to go on in the right direction. Having it installed the wrong way, can very well knock it loose

Looks (to me) like it's going the correct direction. It's an O-Ring chain, probably installed  on a bike that didn't come w/one. There fore, wider than stock and causing the wear on the clip and rivets. There are two remedies to this, file a groove in the chain guide or use washers to widen out the chain guide.

Mine looks like that but worse. More polished and rounded. I think it is small front sprocket and my top slider wear causing it. Anyway, it will be like that to the end of the chian life so no worries. Very common for me. I have never had a break or failure. I run only Renthol 520 R3-2 o-ring chains.

Normal.  The clip material's softer so it can flex when you install it, as a result it wears faster.

Since the wear's not on load-bearing areas, it's fine.

I always buy several master links when I buy a chain.  Carry one or two with me just-in-case, or replace them if I don't like the way it looks. :excuseme:

• Like 1

One time I was riding my IT 200, we stopped to take a break, I looked down at my chain and the clip and side plate were missing! Couldn't believe the link didn't break. Rummaged thru my tool belt, a spare side plate and clip were the only chain parts I had, somehow lost the rest of it. Worked out pretty good, if the link had broken, I would've been pushing.