Sign in to follow this  

Xr600r- how to protect countershaft splines (1994 and compatable years)

so everyone knows you can put an xr650r sprocket onto an xr650l to protect the CS splines, but how can I protect my 1994 xr600r splines? Is there a way to put a xr650r CS sprocket on my 600r? Or does someone make a thicker xr600r sprocket? I noticed my spines have slight wear on them and do not want to strip... just got the bike. Thank you, i would very much appreciate any help

Anybody? Please I really wanna know if I can get a thicker sprocket or not

being in the midst of a countershaft replacement job on my XR650L I feel your pain...

I don't know of anyone that makes a thicker countershaft sprocket for your bike but...you could always have a machine shop cut down a second sprocket and weld it to the side of a new one.  That way you'll have double the contact area.  You may be able to donate your old sprocket to the project as long as the spline mating surface is in good shape.

Not sure if your countershaft spline is long enough...you may also have to have the "donor" sprocket thinned as well.  Measure twice, cut (or weld) once!

My $0.02...

if you have the 13 spline output shaft,,where the sprocket fits on......the XR650R sprocket will go one..if you have the 5 spline it will not..

if you are only riding in the dirt with this bike it isn`t really as necessary as a street riden bike..still a good idea though..

B

I had a spacer made up for mine. The engineer surface ground  it to get a good fit. Approx 4mm thick.Check chain aliment before fitting up..Takes out play between sprocket and counter shaft

• Like 1

Whoops. I looked at it today and found more. I got a sprocket lock tab that the bolts go through into the sprocket, then ground the tabs off it so it is round. Place this on the countershaft first and push on as far as it will go. Then bolt the sprocket on and make a spacer for the gap between the sprocket and the modified tab. Keeps things tighter with less play.