Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Advice

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the clutch set up in my 2008 YZ250F that I'm pretty sure is still on it's original guts. It looks like I can piece together a GYT-R hub, pressure plate, and basket from New Old Stock sitting at dealerships for sale on eBay for around $500. I'll still need an actual clutch kit to go along with it too, and I was thinking about going with a Hinson FSC Kit. Will this make for a good set up? I use my 250F as a jack of all trades kind of deal for off road work. These bikes aren't worth very much on Craigslist but I'll be keeping mine for a while until I can finish school, so I'd rather just make it as solid as can be and hopefully eliminate that weird first gear creep without having to use the washer mod while I'm at it, too.

Thanks!

The more I thought about how much all that would cost, I realized a Rekluse setup would be about the same price. An enduro rider that works at a local Cycle Gear spoke highly of his KTM with a Rekluse but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. 

I have a rekluse exp core 3.0 on both my 2012 WR450F & 2012 WR250F, and I like them.  I mainly like the fact that I don't waste much energy when I hit the ground trying to start the girls back up.  Also, I can use my clutch like I normally do when I'm used to it in certain situations.  Pricey, but great invention and very easy to install and setup.  if your going to do that, look into the rekluse and you'll end up buying them rekluse engineers a beer or two after a good hard ride haha.

For your YZ250F, you would have to buy a set of OEM or rekluse brand friction plates, and everything else is a piece of cake.

I have rode bikes with our without the rekluse, and I can do either.  But for the sake of the hare scrambles and enduro races, if I had to choose between a bike with our without a rekluse, I would grab the bike with a rekluse any day.  It takes some time to get used to the feeling of the rekluse, but to me its worth it.  Especially if your going to drop that much coin anyways.

Edited by chittyrox