Sign in to follow this  

hand guards or no hand guards

If you off road and/or trail ride your hands, fingers, and trauma center at the hospital will be emotionally elated you installed hand guards on your CR250.  The levers and grips will be eternally grateful.

If someone tells you hand guards don’t look cool, ignore them and find someone else to ride with.

On the MX track……. personal choice.

• Like 6

Hand guards (and gloves) are for wussies!

Edited by Still Bill

I use them on trails and track. Your hands are priceless. Kinda hard to ride a bike with no hands. Like youngztr stated, dont worry what others think. Safety is far more important than how something "looks". :thumbsup:

• Like 1

haha ok so what about the guys that say handguards (wrap arounds) caused them broken wrists... I dono

I've heard that a bunch, but never seen it happen.

I think it's worth the risk of possibly breaking your wrist (only if you hold on the bars as you flip over them). I've ran into trees so many times that I would barley have hands without them

• Like 4

makes sense.... so where and what do I buy? I have a 1998 model

You will get a million different answers but I like cycra pro bend mine have held up great tested them many times.

• Like 6

Buy a cheap set from Cycle Gear ($20 on sale), use them. IF you like them (or like having them), upgrade to a "better design" if you like. Check out what other people are using and how they mount and protect levers hands etc. this will give you an idea of what you might like. 

It seems to me that the blades are pretty much the same protection wise, it's the mounts that make a difference in the protection. You will most likely have to cut the end of the throttle tube off to mount the guards. We just got my wife a new(ish) bike and the PO installed the guards w/o completely removing the end of the throttle tube, now she needs a new throttle tube, since it caused her tube to crack.

• Like 1

Well if you like broken fingers and crushed hands then definitely do no guards.

• Like 1

eBay has sweet acerbis knock off guards for $30. They're awesome.

I go both ways. I run a full guard on trail rides and take them off when on the track.

• Like 1