Sign in to follow this  

California Worth bringing bike East to West?

Wondering if its worth bringing a bike from east coast (CT) out west (SF Bay area) never registered as its not required in CT as long as you're off state land. I have the original cert of origin and the bike is "offroad use only" not sold as a street registrable bike (11 XCF).

Will this be worth my time or should I look into just getting something that I can get a Green sticker for once I'm out? Transport costs are irrelevant as we will likely be using a moving truck or POD type service.

Thoughts?

Get it plated in ct if you can.

When I was in ny I didn't ride and I don't ever recall seeing plated dirt bikes, but someone said it's possible, maybe the same in ct?

• Like 1

Get it plated in ct if you can.

When I was in ny I didn't ride and I don't ever recall seeing plated dirt bikes, but someone said it's possible, maybe the same in ct?

+1 on the plate.

Would it be a better idea to try and get a street legal bike out here something with a title like an EXC-W to ease registration process?

• Like 1

Would it be a better idea to try and get a street legal bike out here something with a title like an EXC-W to ease registration process?

If you plate your bike in ct i believe that you can transfer it to a ca plate depending on the mileage or something like that. That is you won't have any ct address to keep it associated with.

Out here if you're buying new there's only one street legal option, the KTM dual sport models.

I keep losing signal and crashes the app.

Plate yours and transfer it to ca vmaybe buy another later.

What year 300, just curious..

Plating the bike in CT won't do a thing here in the Golden State….I believe the bike must have (a substantiated) 8500 (someone jump down my throat if I'm off by 500 miles) in order for the CT plate to convert to a Kawli plate (and the bike must have all street required equipment operational).

And a ranger will laugh at a CT plate if you're a Cal resident.

If CT did not require the bike to be registered and you have the original sales paperwork, our extremely efficient DMV will give (take your $$) you a red sticker….Take the bike and a good book (seriously) to the nearest office, know and be prepared to show the VIN on the frame and the engine number to the inspector and you should be good to go..This could (will) take at least 2 hours.

Oh, and when they ask how many miles are on the bike, say (truthfully) "It's a dirt bike, there is no odometer so I can't say"….You may have to repeat this sentence to the DMV person 3 or four times before they get it.

Patience is key.

• Like 1

If buying a bike out of state and transferring title here it's 7500 miles. 

However, if you already own it in another state and move here that's not the case.  It's just a residence change rather than a purchase.  But they might still tell you it's a red sticker vehicle...  depending on the DMV rep you get.

I'd plate it in CT...  and try and transfer title at AAA when you get here.  Worst case you end up with a Red Sticker bike you love to ride.  

Ok this is a bit more clear, thanks for the info guys.

I love my XCF (280bb) but I'm also able to ride nearly out my back door with lots of room for new trails (no plate) something I know I won't have out west. This began the thought of whether it would be worth even bringing  a non plateable bike.

I think trying to find a green sticker EXC is going to be my best bet to minimize  PITA factor

Edited by Arctic Pride

Ok this is a bit more clear, thanks for the info guys.

I love my XCF (280bb) but I'm also able to ride nearly out my back door with lots of room for new trails (no plate) something I know I won't have out west. This began the thought of whether it would be worth even bringing a non plateable bike.

I think trying to find a green sticker EXC is going to be my best bet to minimize PITA factor

An EXC comes plated from the factory if that is what you mean by "green sticker". This is talking the current 350 and 500. You might want to get the bike in CT and talk to the dealer about "flashing" the ECU with the "EU" map. Something that is highly frowned upon in this lovely State. Maybe it is in CT as well, don't know but worth checking into.

Yes thats what I'm going to be looking for. 

A bike I can either buy in CA or bring to CA, register and ride on the street to trails. I'm also considering WR 250R's, Honda 250L's e/t/c

I'm still a bit confused by this scenario: If I were to buy an EXC or any other bike that was previously sold as a factory plateable bike would it have to have been registered in MY name before bringing to  CA? Or is it ok to have the Title in the previous owner so I don't have to go through the hassle of registering it in CT then again in CA.

As long as it is a 50 State street legal plated from the factory bike you will be able to keep the plate.

Your hassles will increase the more variables you throw into the mix though. Not being in your name will just make their head spin (Exorcist).

If there is even a SLIM chance that you can end up with your 300 plated in CA...  it's worth a trip to the CT DMV. 

Would love to see that but how? Unless he can show an odo with 7.5K, or I guess if he hits the jackpot with the right competent dee em fee clerk…..

I'm pessimistic..Sorry, Arctic, but I just am……but I hope you pull it off.

7500 is when you buy a vehicle from out of state and register it here in your name for the first time. Has nothing to vehicles you already own when you move here. He's just changing residence from CT to CA on a street legal vehicle he owns... just like his car. But if he has ANY chance of getting it through it must be plated in CT in his name before he gets here.

I'd walk into AAA... lay out my car's licence plate and title.. and the bikes license plate and title... and say "I've moved to CA and need to transfer my vehicles here."

I think he has a fair chance.

Edited by Jeff aka Travolta

That's not what it's about.  Forget the 7500 miles.  People are misinterpreting that.

You cannot buy ANY vehicle out of the state and bring it here as a used vehicle unless it has 7500 miles on it.  It is to prevent you from buying a new car in AZ or NV to avoid CA sales tax and CA SMOG Requirements on a new vehicle purchase.  It has nothing to do with dirt bike conversions. 

If you buy a used dirt bike in another state...  and if you tried to register it in CA as a street bike...  it needs a speedo with 7500 miles on it...  but that's honestly the least of your problems getting it plated here.

Again, if you owned your vehicle in another state with title and registration and then moved here it's just a simple title transfer and all this shit it moot.

Edited by Jeff aka Travolta

Why does CA care about 99% of the shit it care's about :banghead: Good f'n question ;)

Alright seems pretty clear now if I want to bring something to ride on the street.

If I buy something used in CT and bring to CA without it being PREVIOUSLY registered in CT to CA it must have 7500 mi to register for STREET use.

If it were previously registered for the street in CT and simply show "hey i've moved" it should be much less hassle...

So now the key will be trolling both coasts until I find the best deal.