Sign in to follow this  

RR repair

So after my bike ran out of juice I checked my RR to find that 2/3 terminals were dead. I peeled back all the electrical tape the previous owner had put on there only to find that he had some how severed 2/3 of the wires coming from the stator and chosen to just twist them together and wrap them in tape!

The diode test on the wires looks good so the RR seems to be working but I need to properly fix the 2 wires.

First question: Does it matter which wires go to which terminal or are all 3 yellow wires the same?

Second question: what's the best way to fix the wires, I plan to solder them together but will need more than just electrical tape insulating them from each other. What should I use?

RR_cut.JPG

Yes you can fit it. No it does not matter which wire goes where.  All 3 are the same.  Solder and cover the joints with heat shrink sleeving.  Obviously the heat shrink has to be pre-placed on the wire before making the joint.

While you are at it you might consider doing the "Free Power" mod.  Cut off the red and black wires and splice on 14 gage marine grade wire direct to the battery.  Use #10 ring terminals at the battery.  See FAQ for more details.

• Like 1

The rest of the bikes wiring (LED lights, etc) are really shoddy work too. What would you suggest for wire connections when I fix up the rest of this work? These connections should probably be able to be plugged/unplugged so no soldering for that.

You can get the specific motorcycle connectors/terminals you may need from Ebay or ask around on the forum. Splices are best soldered and covered with marine grade heat shrink.