Sign in to follow this  

2009 125SX fork seal advice

Looking at what is required for replacing fork seals on 09 KTM 125SX for somebody.  I did my sons YZ250F without any issues, and looking to see what tools may also work on KTM.  It looks like by x-ref on RMATVMC, the nice Motion Pro Ringer seal driver  is same for both (48mm, same part # shown).  However it appears the cap wrench is different and the holder tool is different (however the one cap wrench has a slot which says can double to hold the rod).

They also list a Compression bolt removal tool?  Not sure what this would be needed for.  Rightly or wrongly I did not tear down completely (per the manual) on the YZ, just enough to replace the seals, and they have worked good.  I would plan the same on the KTM.

Any advise or links to good youtube video or text based write-ups or manuals is appreciated.

Also what is advice on replacing the outer dust seals?  On the YZ they didn't look bad so just replaced the inner seals, and no issues.  I think on it, seal issue was mostly from non-use (sitting in garage).

I replaced the fork seals on my 09 150sx using Dirt Rider's youtube video. I went out and bought a Motion Pro wrench and a fork seal driver to do this as well. The video shows him doing it on a yamaha wr250f, but it is very similar to the 09 125/150 KTM's. It was my first time doing them and the first one took me about 30 mins to do while the second one only took about 15mins, so not too bad at all. As for the dust seals, replace them along with the fork seals. All-in-all, the video helped me out tremendously and saved me a bunch of $$. Hopefully it is helpful to you too!

P.S. Here is the link...knew I forgot something ;)

Edited by Fretburner

The compression bolt tool is needed to open the cartridge but you shouldn't mess with that just to do the seals.