Sign in to follow this  

01 YZ250 Front Brake Swap.

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a 2001 Yz250 that was in pretty solid shape except for a few maintenance things like fork seals, rear tire, grips, but also a big one was the crappy front brake. I don't know if it came this way from the factory but it has this weird Akemono master cylinder and a brake lever that is almost impossible to find. The brake is pretty terrible and the end of the lever is broken off so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get rid of the old and try to upgrade at least a little. The question is which brake should I swap it out with, and do you think I should just replace the master cylinder or should I do the calipers too? I'm not a super experienced rider, so a lot of the times I really don't feel the difference between good and better so if it would be cheaper to get like a 01 or 02 OEM yz MC and not sacrifice a whole lot of performance versus droppin some stacks on a newer setup then I'd be good with that. I just want to get the best value for my money, but still with performance that is good enough for some D Class races and riding around.

Thanks,

Daniel

I have an 02 yz 250 and I feel like the stock front brake is fine. Most people hate it but with carbon pads and maintenance to make sure they aren't glazed I am happy with it. As far as whether or not that would be a direct swap you might want to look up the fische for 2001 then 2002 and on and check part numbers to verify that other years will fit.