Sign in to follow this  

Nutrition, hydration, post ride recovery diet and summer colds ?

I've been going on long, arduous 4 to 5 hour rides lately.   Temps are around 80F. 

I eat a big breakfast of eggs, cooked cereal and toast when I get up at around 7AM.  I eat a bit more at the trail head and drink lots of fluids (usually a sugary drink) while driving there.  Our ride usually starts at 11AM and goes to 3,4 or 5PM, depending on the trail we are on.  I don't eat anything during the ride.  Our rides are at a moderate pace over pretty gnarly trails.  We take 4 to 6 short breaks during a typical ride.

I carry a 1.5L hydration pack filled with ice water.   The last couple rides I've drank all of it.  I don't usually have to pee during the ride.  Once back at the truck I drink another liter of sugary water and eat a sandwich and a couple bananas on the way home.   For dinner I have a full balanced meal, usually heavy with meat.  The next morning I have a full breakfast with eggs.

This all works well except that I am ravenously hungry and sometimes very thirsty for the next couple days.   I'm trying to lose a bit of weight so I'm wanting to keep the calories in check, but its nearly impossible to not eat what seems like an awful lot of food the days after a long ride.  Surely I'm not burning that many calories while riding !

I used to be very good about not drinking sweetened drinks, but now they seem to be the only thing that hydrates me and keeps my blood sugar in check.  I'm not saying I drink a lot of them, but post ride I'm having one or two soft drinks a day, along with slightly sweet (watered down) lemonaid.  I can limit myself to drinking only water, but I seem to get really weak.  Other than post ride days, I never drink sugary drinks.

I'm 6'1", about 220 pounds.  My body fat is about 18%.  I can road bike 30 miles in 2 hours on a good day.  How should I be eating and drinking such that I am not so hungry on the post ride days ?

Also, I've been doing a lot of riding and cycling this summer.  I've been fighting a low level summer cold all summer.   What's up with that ?   Why am I getting it and how do I get rid of it ?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

If your not peeing, then your not drinking enough water. I always hit he water super hard before i ride, that way i go out hydrated.

i dont like the idea of you riding all day with nothing to eat, sounds like shooting yourself in the foot. You have a hydration pack right? put a energy bar in it and eat half on one of your stops and half on another. Try Pro-Bars. They are the best meal replacement bars I've found, and tasty!

TRY to aviod the sugary water your drinking when your getting back to the truck and stick it to water...i know it hard but...its do able.

I can easily avoid sugary water. But when I do, I feel weak. Do you eat something to make up those quick carbs or ???

how much water do you drink on a daily basis? When I go out for long rides I like to mix Gatorade and water as well as pack a few bars along.

how much water do you drink on a daily basis? When I go out for long rides I like to mix Gatorade and water as well as pack a few bars along.

On the last 4 hour ride, I drank 1/2 liter on the way to the trail, 1.5 liters while riding and about a liter on the way home.  IIRC, but I think I do. 

I dislike the taste of Gatorade.  I've been mixing a lemonaid powder into my water at half recommended strength.  

I picked up bars today.  

heres another thought...you say post ride you eat two bananas and a sandwich? Thats alot of simple carbs...bananas are great but they have about 25 grams of sugar each, maybe try something more protien based? expecially if your trying to lose weight, a couple greek yogurts might be the ticket...

Good post, are you at elevation?

Your diet is pretty high cal on ride days which is good, but are you cutting cals in a big way on non ride days?

At 6'1 220 I'd assume you're weight training as well, are you getting in any HIT cardio with that? Interval training like step mill and rower will help with overall endurance especially if you're running a good pace. Try 20 min sessions 1min on 1min off

Straight up 1.5L is only 50.X OZ not NEARLY enough. Pick up a 100 OZ bladder and sip as you go.

When you say "sugar water" are you talking like Arnold Palmer 50/50's or Gatorade? Chugging a protein shake and a Gatorade at the end of a ride like that is probably the best start to your recovery

With regard to the cold, try a sinus wash, really helps get all that crap out  which can to infection (which a lot of people think is a cold when in reality is a sinus infection)

Wean yourself off the sugar garbage. If you think it's low blood sugar then the day prior eat some carbs to give you a reserve. But in reality you are probably consuming way more sugar than you should, it's what you have made your body use to.

And another thing about feeling tired, are you getting enough sleep?

And another thing about feeling tired, are you getting enough sleep?

I read an article not too long ago about calorie burning. They compared the calories burned when doing chronic cardio (running, spinning etc) vs anaerobic work outs ( high intensity movements such as sprints, push ups, vertical jumps). They said that with a single hr, cardio burns more calories. But within an 8 hr period anaerobic workouts burn 3x times more cals. With this said, if your riding for 5+ hrs at a decent rate, dude you are burning some serious kcals. No wonder your hungry. Your body is burning calories waaay after your done riding. Now, my .2$ is that you should be drinking 2 onces of water for every pound you weigh. Also when you are half way between the full water intake , you need to drink a electrolyte packet. It will help you retain water and it will not be pissed out flushing your electrolytes

• Like 1

I read an article not too long ago about calorie burning. They compared the calories burned when doing chronic cardio (running, spinning etc) vs anaerobic work outs ( high intensity movements such as sprints, push ups, vertical jumps). They said that with a single hr, cardio burns more calories. But within an 8 hr period anaerobic workouts burn 3x times more cals. With this said, if your riding for 5+ hrs at a decent rate, dude you are burning some serious kcals. No wonder your hungry. Your body is burning calories waaay after your done riding. Now, my .2$ is that you should be drinking 2 onces of water for every pound you weigh. Also when you are half way between the full water intake , you need to drink a electrolyte packet. It will help you retain water and it will not be pissed out flushing your electrolytes

Slowgs2001- What electrolyte packet? Any special kind? Where do you get them? I dealt with this the last time I rode and I think my breathing might have been off during the ride. I know when I go on rides like all day you have to hydrate yourself days before the ride!

Slowgs2001- What electrolyte packet? Any special kind? Where do you get them? I dealt with this the last time I rode and I think my breathing might have been off during the ride. I know when I go on rides like all day you have to hydrate yourself days before the ride!

cytosports cytomax electrolyte mix. You'll love it. Remember, 1-2 oz of h2o for every pound. So if you're needing to intake 130 oz total then at 60oz, intake a serving of cytomax

Be sure to try a couple different brands. I don't care for cytomax personally, GuBrew is my go to electrolyte drink...Don't use these supplements too often or else your body will get used to them.

Also pickle juice has a good serving of electrolytes. Eat a pickle during a break and/or after a ride

I always save the jar and drink the juice, its good for hangovers too

Bagels w alot of peanut butter is good and pasta dinners the night before will give u carbs to keep goin

My buddy said when he was deployed in Iraq the medics passed out Alka Seltzer tablets to replace electrolytes. Eat a tablet with every gallon of water. They drank about 8 gallons a day.